Thinking about you

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, folks

TM has gotten to be a big part of my pro life, as you can well imagine. I had done a lot of question answering this morning and went down to practice. I had a big night last night and had the usual tenderness one associates with this morning after. I reacted to the tendernes by taking the usual big breaths and blowing but noticed the sound was fuzzy. Ach, try it again. Still a litle fuzzy. Then, immediately, I said "What do I want it to sound like?". I took the SAME breath I had been taking but this time with the sound of last night in my head. The results were predictable, everything was just as it should be: big, full sound, flowing with the richness I like to hear.

Here's the point: I ran downstairs to write this to you all because a) it goes to show that pros don't always remember the most BASIC of things, b) I follow my own advice, c) it's all about what's in your head when you're blowing.

I could have gotten out any number of books and started worrying ad infinitum about this and that and that and this. I didn't. I referred to that which I know best: my own sound. It was like turning on the mental, CD player, folks.

Anyways, I ran down here to write this up because I feel this is the inherent beauty of TM: to share the best of our work as well as the questions that can edify a beginner and a pro.

Allright, time to get back. "Yellow Bird" in C major then B major await (start IN the staff)!

ML

2. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    It is amazing to me that I can teach 25 lessons per week then not take my own advice! It's good to see that even players of your calliber can have the same pitfall. Sometimes I have to sit down and have "the talk" with myself. Wind & song, that sound, beautiful music, whatever you want to call it, always leads to better playing.

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    BINGO Manny

Thanks for sharing some "truthisms" about our never ending journey as thinkers and learners aside from being musicians. The gift that keeps on giving......the world of the ever-morphing musician / person / trumpeter / teacher. That is the universe of our minds and our lives. Pretty amazing, eh? No time or room for boredom....especially when we have a forum such as this to exchange information and inspire one another. :grouphug:

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Manny wrote:
    The amazing thing is that the TM is a big part of your pro life. That you take the time to answer questions and help musicians around the world says a LOT about your character.
    Thank you.

-cw-

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny, that really cuts to the chase opf something I posted long ago on off days.

How you notice you are going to have one and them work through them and turn them around is an important revelation. We all have them (at least those of us who are human, anyway), and to see how you notice then work through is very telling.

I am also honored that you think of us to share your ideas and experiences at that level. For me, that is the beauty and pricelessness of this forum, and reveals to me once again the very open, personal, and sharing nature of the act of music making.

6. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    Heck yes!!