third valve screw broken...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet 101, Sep 21, 2010.

1. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    today i tripped (which sucked) and i scraped up my left leg :-( i threw my trumpet case out of the way as not to crush it (i am a large guy). when i opened my case the third valve slide was thrown out and the screw to stop it had literally broke in half. my question is: should i get my trumpet checked out? and is it bad that that happened" everything is running fine with it, the slide still moves smooth. and just to inform you: my trumpet is a cannonball.

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If there were damage, you would be able to tell by visual inspection or by slides/valves sticking. The fact that you do not see damage and everything works suggests that you were able to save the trumpet, thankfully. How the screw broke in half without any other damage is a mystery to me but consider yourself lucky. But, just for kicks, when you go to a repair shop to replace the screw, take the trumpet and have them look at it for anything you may have missed.

I'm sure glad nothing happened. I really like the Cannonball trumpets and hope to have one someday.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    If nothing is obviously not working with the horn then you probably got lucky. Just get the replacement parts and call it a day.

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    You might be able to find a little brass screw with a knurled head that fits at a well-stocked Ace Hardware.

You are lucky that's all you broke.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The "possessed" trumpet player would have broken a leg first. ;-)

I'd get the horn looked at. The Cannonball is worth it!

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

I agree. It won't hurt anything to have it checked out, but if there is something wrong you could make it worse.

7. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    thanks everyone for your opinion and this matter. im sending my trumpet to amro for inspection and a new screw, and fixing (if needed). and why not throw in a buffing and cleaning? :-)