Third valve slide damage

Discussion in 'Horns' started by latinjazzcat, Oct 10, 2004.

1. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    Last night someone failed to see my horn sitting beside me, and tried to take a seat on top of it. In the process, she bent the third valve slide, and now the second and third valves have ceased working. I'm hoping this won't be incredibly difficult to fix, as I have a gig coming up next weekend, and I'd rather not have to use my other horn. Can anyone describe the "procedure" the repairman will have to do to my baby? Thanks.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Sorry to hear about your accident. I'll bet the other party feels as bad or worse than you do!

Time to repair: Depends on how good your repairman is and how busy he is. If it were me, I'd start warming up the standby though. You most likely have a distorted valve block if the valves are also out of commission; although it's possible that the damage is "minor", it sounds like the 2nd valve slide put pressure on it's casing and #2 valve cylinder is also distorted.

(A great reason to NEVER EVER lay your horn on a chair or the floor .... mine is always in one of three places, in my hand, on a stand between my feet or in its case).

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Dan my repair guy (and the president of our community band) has told me that with a little pressure on the 3rd valve slide he can often get the valves to loosen up. You might take it to a repair place, and explain carefully how it was done. It might be fixed in a "jiffy."

Hopefully, that will be the situation you are in. Dan assures me that many valve problems are a matter of putting pressure on the slide area to bend the block ever so slightly.

4. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    Just thought I'd leave an update for anyone interested...I got a call from the repair shop today, and she's going to survive. Turns out the dents were minor, and the repairs only cost ten dollars. I am most relieved :D