Third-Valve Slide Problems - Fixing/Replacement Options?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by surfingmusicman, Jul 11, 2012.

1. surfingmusicman

surfingmusicman New Friend

Nov 17, 2011
    I've got a Bach Stradivarious Model 37. The third-valve slide doesn't have a spit valve, just the removable tube portion that you pull out to empty condensation.

I recently had the horn cleaned, and now (for the first time since I've owned the horn) the removable tube frequently pops out an inch or so when I'm playing. It's super annoying.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of buying a replacement third-valve slide that doesn't have the removable tube and has a spit valve instead, but I'm having trouble finding any. Anyone know where I could get one? A used one would be preferrable. Those Bach replacement parts are silly expensive!

2. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Doesn't the third slide have a Throw ring? keeping your finger in the ring will stop this. The removal tube is for tuning the D and #C notes mainly and others when necessary in conduction with the first slide.
    You will find that they weren't made with a spit keys due to best performance designs, a lot of trumpets were and are still built this way.
    It seems that after the cleaning the third valve slide is operating as it should.

3. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Some thick slide grease, or vaseline. Make sure you move the slide everyday if you use the vaseline. But dont spend the money on a new slide, that is a lot.

4. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA

He means the dump slide

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    First try the selmer slide grease - the red super thick stuff.
    If it still comes out then take it to a decent brass tech at a different store and have him tighten it up-
    he'll know what to do.

coolerdave likes this.
  6. surfingmusicman

surfingmusicman New Friend

Nov 17, 2011
    Hi Chenzo. The Bach Model 37 third-valve slide is comprised of two parts: (1) a middle portion which the third-valve ring is connected to, and (2) an end portion which is a separate removable tube, not attached to the third-valve ring, which the player removes from the horn to empty condensation.
    Unlike the middle portion (which the player moves while playing to adjust intonation), the end portion isn't supposed to move when playing. The end portion is supposed to move only when the player manually removes it to empty condensation.

The end portion is not operating as it should. I'll try to remember to take a picture later this evening so you can see what I mean.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    what he said .... that Selmers is like bearing grease.

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    The dump slide should fit snugly and not move on its own. Whoever cleaned the slide may have had something to do with it being way too easy to move. I'd hesitate to take it back to them. A competent repairman can easily expand the slide to make it fit properly, and he can also install a water key so you don't have to pull the slide out each time moisture collects inside it. I had it done on mine and never regretted it.

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    This dump slide is a standard feature on Bach Bb trumpets, not an option. So, there is no part to buy. The dump slide functions as a water dump and an extension to help being able to lengthen the slide enough to play low F (for Carmen and a few other pieces).

This is one thing that we techs have to be very mindful of whenever we to any cleaning or repair around the 3rd slide. Your options are:
    Have a tech refit the dump slide, expanding the inner tubes slightly. Sometimes the tubing is too hard to expand, so I add some nickel plate to the inner tube.
    Have a tech refit the dump slide, expanding the inner tubes firmly and fit a water key to the dump slide.

Often using thick grease gives the opposite effect of what you expect - it creates a perfect gas tight seal forcing the dump slide out under the pressure of pulling the 3rd slide in without the 3rd valve depressed. I hate to say this, but sometimes the opposite is more successful - using a very thin lubricant.

There are more dented or frozen dump slides than there are well operating ones.

10. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    slide grease will thicken it up