Third-Valve Slide Problems - Fixing/Replacement Options?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by surfingmusicman, Jul 11, 2012.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    +1

When I took my Bach out of mothballs and started playing again, my dump slide was frozen solid. But will some regular TLC (and Hetman 7 slide grease), the slide continues works great. And for the reasons you stated, I prefer the dump slide to a water key.

Mike

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I had dump slide problems on two of the Bach Strads I own. The trumpet one was stuck when I bought the horn (and never pulled easily after I had it removed), and the cornet (184) one rubbed the bell rim when I removed it. I had Bach 3rd valve water keys added to both horns. Problem solved, and I noticed no change in their playing characteristics. I realize I could have worked on the trumpet slide to loosen it, but I'd rather operate a water key than pull a slide.

[​IMG]

3. surfingmusicman

surfingmusicman New Friend

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to buy some Selmer slide grease, and if that doesn't work, I'll take it in to the shop to get refitted.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    My Mt Vernon Strad had this problem, heavy greases were only a tempory cure, as a believer in keeping the valves oiled, one drop on each valve every time I took it out of the case, the grease soon thinned. I took the trumpet to my tech and he expanded the legs, I was suprised how hard the brass was and how much effort was needed to expand it. This was only a couple of minutes work for him and no charge to me.

Regards, Stuart.

5. surfingmusicman

surfingmusicman New Friend

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks for the good advice on this everyone. I had the local shop expand the dump slide and it's working fine now. $25 and only two days without my horn. Success!