Third Valve Slide Ring

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Clueless Mom, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Clueless Mom

Clueless Mom New Friend

Nov 4, 2008
    Thanks everyone for your fantastic advice! I can't wait until my husband reads all these responses! I'll get back to you! :-)

Very Relieved but still a little CLUELESS Mom :shock::shock::shock:

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    As a 72 year old trumpeter who never learned to adjust my intonation for the C# or D, I learned quite early to lip those notes into tune. My current intonation has been favorably commented upon by several other musicians and by four different community concert band conductors. My favorite cornet, a Conn Concert Grand has no provision for an adjustment ring and I have used it extensively as principal trumpet in one large community concert band and as utility trumpet in another with zero complaints until I recently acquired a Conn New World Symphony trumpet, which not only has a permanently mounted third valve adjustment ring, but, also a first valve adjustment trigger. I don't use either of them in most cases.

OLDLOU>>

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I understand both sides of the story, but would not side with the band director on this one. Hardware does not govern intonation, the ears do. I'll bet he does not make all of the flute players sit up straight, the tuba or euphonium players all buy at least 4 valved instruments, the saxophone spend at least 2 grand on instruments, and the oboe players buy reeds that cost at least $20 each.

I can appreciate the thought, it is just that only the SOUND gets better when the slides can be adjusted.

Do not mess with a 50 year old horn trying to make it something that it is not.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    OK< I started the trumpet when i was 10. By the time I was 12 I had learned to use the third valve slide (hearafter refered to as the kicker" to adjust the low D & C# If the horn has meaning for you than I wouldn't let him play it. A young student will make mistakes and have accidents with their horns. I sure if the horn has meaning you don't want to see it damaged and your son would not want to be responsible for any damage to the horn. No matter how careful he is the chances are very good he will put some dings in the horn. there are a lot of good used horns out there for a fair price.

As far as starting with the ring, he really won't need it for a while. at first he can pull it out and leave it for the low D. he won't need to pull it in untill he learns Eb which for most school will be about 6 months. It is important to use it early so that he can learn how in tune notes should sound. regardless of previous post, when I start a beginner they can play in tune with me by 3 months. I disagree that young students can't be taught to play in tune early. they are not that dumb. It's not that hard to do!!

Bob G

5. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    I'm thinking of a tempera solution.
    1. Use a proper metal wire to form a suitable hook.
    2. Use ducked tape to wrap your tuning slide well for protection.
    3. Use ducked tape to wrap your hand made hook nicely. This is to protect your hook scratch your trumpet.
    4. Adjust the length of your hand made hook to be freely move around the trumpet.
    5. Tape your hand made hook on your tuning slide. :D
    6. Final adjustments.

Or if you only missing the hook then you can just tape your home made hook and then attach it to your trumpet. My olds ambassador fall into this category though I haven't been that good to try this function out.

You have a great weekend!:play:
    Oldsben

6. Clueless Mom

Clueless Mom New Friend

Nov 4, 2008
    Oldsben......how is is that duct tape is always in a solution!?? Thank you! I needed a laugh today!!!

7. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Just make sure you use the name brand "DUCK" tape... the competitors just don't seem to stick to their task....

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    several years ago my wife "discovered" duck tape. I have learned new applications I never thought of

9. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
  10. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    I always use DUCT tape to finish small jobs for my wife. My recent use is to wrap a Y hook on a stick to help my wife hang clothes on our backyard deck:D. Wish this can give you a laugh.

I didn't use DUCT brand DUCT tapes very often because it is too strong and my job is always temperaly. Clean it while it is still sticky can be very painful.