Third Valve Slide Ring

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Clueless Mom, Nov 4, 2008.

1. NOwens

NOwens New Friend

Nov 13, 2008
    Valley Village, CA
    I was trying to research triggers, but after reading all of these posts, I like how the thread has now spun the topic to DUCK tape. hahahaha: ROFL

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is because you have to duck when a trumpet player is letting the spit out of a leaky spit valve!

I think the quick fix was just to duck the spit valve to make it seal. You can't let the spit out anymore, but until the horn starts to gurgle, it works!

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Either you don't play those notes "out of tune" and don't need a slide key, or you don't "hear" it. Maybe others do? ;-)

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Have you noticed that when a guy mentions duck tape we all chime in. Must be genetic!

5. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    i have actually used duct tape to fix a computer... hear me out. i was in high school, computer's harddrive crashed, needed to type up a paper over the course of a weekend. replaced the harddrive, but lost the hardware to mount it to the tower's chassis, so i literally duct taped the hard drive to the side of the tower.

i still have that computer (was 1997 packard bell 233mghz p1, 256mb ram, 20gb hd), and it still runs windows 95. not good for anything, but it still works, harddrive still duct taped :D

6. Johnnyzen

Johnnyzen New Friend

Apr 3, 2009
    Ohio
    When was the 3rd valve ring added to the trumpet? I saw a pro line getzen from the 50s without it. Was it added in the 60s?

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    New Band Mom - (not "clueless" otherwise you wouldn't be looking after your childs education like this_ - here is a photo of the trumpet (built in 1955) that my Dad bought for me when I started. Note that it has NO third slide ring, it has NEVER had a third slide ring, nor has it EVER been repaired.

Yes I know we are a bit down the track from your original question - but it might help other Moms (Mums, in Oz). Keep up the support.

[​IMG]

8. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Something like this may work.

It all depends on if the horn is designed to have a third valve slide. If it wasn't, the horn probably has some compensation in it's original design to help manage intonation problems that modern horns manage with the slides.

I would take the horn to a local instrument repair shop and ask if it can be used with a slide ring, if it wasn't designed to work that way...tell the teacher that and leave it alone.

Hope this helps,

Brian

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  9. sayluvee

sayluvee New Friend

Mar 19, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Alright this is all very interesting advice - but here's what I would do - my suggestion go to Bandroom.com Publications order the parts to do this (it will probably run you $20-$30) and be done with it.
    Though I will agree that I did not know anything about the 3rd valve slide and ring until I was in junior high - and that usually beginning students are more interested in (and rightly so) reading the right note, playing the right fingering, and doing it all in time - to worry about intonation. I do agree with instilling the proper way of playing and that involves the syncronization of the the movement of the third valved slide with notes that are out of tune (just like the fingering it should an automatic thing). Though I agree with the concept of learning to control the notes without the slide your son will hardly get that kind of attention and instruction from his band teacher - plain and simple the teacher does not have that kind of time devote to one student (especially one who's mom refused to take his advice). That kind of precision comes with a number of years of listening and playing and listening and playing with a tuner. Right now your son wants to learn to play trumpet and the teacher he has available to him is trying to teach him the best way he/she knows how and in my expierence as a trumpet player I am shocked that grade school band director (unless he is a trumpet player) knows that the
    3rd valve slide exists let alone what it is used for. If you are worried about messing up the horn because of its value - then find out the value - if its worth more then $300 dollars sell it and pick up a $200 conn director or olds off ebay (just make sure they come with a 3rd valve slide ring). As a side note the 3rd valve slide ring is often removed to place a liar for marching band (there are liars that clip on but in my opinion they never stay on well) so you might end up having to get it done anyway. As a trumpet player and as a parent - this alteration is hardly worth getting in a pissing match with your sons band director over. Trust me you will have deal with this person at least for 2 years possibly more.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I don't understand the logic of putting on a fitting if the instrument was made without it - that's like putting hubcaps on a boat trailer - they serve no real purpose. I played my horn for quite a few years without the third valve slide ring ('cos it didn't come with one) and then when my next trumpet came with one fitted - I dealt with it. If the boy is playing trumpet then he is not stupid, if the trumpet has survived for fifty years without a third valve slide ring, then perhaps the manufacturer who crafted the instrument may have known a little more than we do - who knows? Why reinvent? Why give this young Mum (Mom) more grief than she aleady has with a beginner trumpet player in the house. We have given her enough information to confront the band leader if she chooses - let's note that she hasn't expressed any further need for our advice. I would be keen to let the subject drop about here. Don't you think?

(Thinks: Blast - there I've gone and had another spray - I hope no-one has taken offence this time - perhaps they weren't watching, I've got to stop doing this, and it's getting worse as I age :oops:).