Third valve slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Jun 22, 2005.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Manny,

I have a concert coming up where I am playing a solo where I have to use a plunger.

With the right hand on the valves and the left working the plunger; every time I play A flat the third slide comes out and the note goes way flat.

I thought about getting another string and tying it for that part.
    What would you do?

2. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I've had similar dilemma in the past and I used hair twisty, those thin ones that are always lying around. It gave me liberty of using my slide with little resistance and still held it in its place when I wasn't holding it. Though I'm not Mr. Laureano, I hope this helps!

3. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    rubber band? fishing line...

anything like that should hold it

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    A little less valve oil mixed in with the slide grease.

5. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Grow a third arm?

6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Don't use a rubber band on a silver horn -- the sulfur content of natural rubber will very quickly tarnish any silver it touches, and it doesn't take long for the tarnish to go right down to brass.

I used to have problems with the third valve slide auto-extending during plunger work. Then, for unrelated reasons, I switched to mouthpieces bent 10 degrees. That's just enough to level out my trumpet and prevent the third valve slide from extending while plungering.

7. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had the same problem on my C tpt using a harmon. I ended up using one of those coated rubber bands thaat women use in their hair. It worked well.

8. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    crap... i wish i would have know that whole rubber band thing before... I've had one on my marching horn for about 3 weeks now, I'm afraid to take it off and look... oh well, like I said, it's my marching horn, no big deal... even though theres not a dent or scratch on it and now the litle thingies on it are tarnished!!!!!!! :-(

9. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Use round elastic cord. It is found in any fabrics store. You can even get gold and silver to match your horn.