Third Valve Water Key Addition - Local Tech or Other

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Dec 29, 2009.

1. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I am thinking about having a water key installed on my third valve slide. I tend to get a good bit of water trapped in there, and I hate to unscrew the slide stop to empty it out. This is a Benge - I guest it's a 3XPlus because it has a #3 bell and an MLP bore.

So, here is the question, is this a job for a local tech (I know there are different levels of competency, but let's assume an average tech), or should I just wait until I have a trip to Socal and bring it over to Kanstul? (I am assuming that they'll do the job).

Thanks

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If you scan this forum, you will find a number of threads that deal with this and, as you might expect, a lot of different opinions. Some contend that the water key was left off specifically due to the change in tone (or maybe intonation) that is causes. So, in their view, adding one will change the tone. I know of one designer who does not even put one on the main slide due to his perception of the tone issues (not everyone agrees).

If you decide to have one installed, it should not be a big deal for a competent tech although keep in mind that the heat may affect the lacquer in the area where it is installed. I assume that a local shop should be able to obtain one with a matching style to the one that you have. I don't know how many choices you have or how to determine the competency except for asking a lot of questions and informing them that they will be held very accountable for the results (they may shy away if they feel their skills are not up to it).

Good luck.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Doesn't the very end of the slide pull out to dump the water? Most horns I've seen with a slide stop rod have one (a dump slide), so you don't have to undo the whole thing to empty the 3rd slide.

4. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    On my Benge the end of the slide comes off, just like a Bach.

5. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Hmm, I have never noticed this. The slide stop was broken off when I got the horn, had that soldered in place, and have always pulled the whole thing out. I don't recall seeing a place to pull the end off, but I'll check when I get home - that would be a nice solution (and free).

6. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Yamahas don't. :-(

7. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but your Yamaha doesn't have a stop rod with nuts that have to be removed, does it (like in the picture below)? It has a thumbscrew stop that's pretty easy to loosen to let the slide pass by.

As an aside, even though my Bach Bb trumpet and cornet have 3rd valve dump slides, I still had factory water keys installed just for convenience. I could tell no difference in the playing characteristics after the mod.

[​IMG]

8. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    [​IMG]
    I am not sure if this picture will show up, but it does not appear that the end of the slide comes off. If it does, it is totally stuck - even after the ultrasonic cleaning that had been done when I took it to the shop. At first glance, when I got home, I thought maybe it was removable as there are definitely "fittings" there, but nothing moves.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  9. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'll bet it comes out, but I wouldn't try to force it. The one on my Strad trumpet was stuck when I bought it, and I had it removed by a tech. It never was loose enough to work right, though, and I decided to have a water key added. I'm sure it's stuck again, since it's been years since I removed it...:D

10. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Not all that easy. It's a lot quicker to operate a key or pull an end than loosen that screw and NOT drop the entire slide on the floor. My only real complaint with the horn.