Third Valve Water Key Addition - Local Tech or Other

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Dec 29, 2009.

1. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The Benge does have a removable end slide for water removal -- bring the trumpet to your local repair shop and the technician should be able to get that end piece unstuck fairly easily. In my 30 years as a repair technician I've only run into a couple where the slide hadn't been properly lubricated and hadn't been moved for so long that it truly was permanently stuck and so the person just pulled the whole slide to drain it.

But the vast majority of such 3rd slides with the small end slides for drainage can be made to work properly again without incurring a huge repair cost.

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Cool, I'll check into that. It seems preferable to me to not add the water key if I can have this fixed.

Thanks everyone.

3. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Push down 2nd and 3rd valve and empty out of second valve slide. This worked great for me when I got the amado key of my Taylor clogged.

4. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    So, push down 2 and 3, pull out the second valve slide, and tilt the horn to the right so the open pipe empties out? I'll try that.

5. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    You guys are great. A handkerchief, a firm - not too hard - tug later, some slide grease, and I am more or less good to go. There is some patina on the slide I'd like to clean off to make it move a bit easier, but I CAN get it in and out now.

Thank you

6. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Sometimes it's just not quick enough. My Navy horn is a Yamaha 8335RGS - no 3rd valve water key, and it is a real pain when you're in a situation that doesn't leave you enough time to empty! One of the many things I've loved about my V Raptors is having that second spit valve for the first time in years - it definately makes life a lot easier!

7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Glad you've got the problem resolved -- to make the slide work more easily, remove it, put a little lubricant on each of the tubes but insert only one tube and while pushing it in and out, rotate it left and right and that often will wear down any rough spots so that it will slide more easily. Repeat it with the other tube in its appropriate outer tube and then work both tubes in and out simultaneously until the slide will move in and out easily enough to empty it but not so easily that it will pop out if you move the 3rd slide in without the valve depressed.

Remember to lubricate this small end slide regularly (as with all your slides) and you should never have a problem again.:-)

8. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    My Yamaha Xeno 8335 did not come with a 3rd slide valve,but undoing a screw stop permitted the entire slide to be pulled out and emptied(time consuming). If you forgot to retighten the screw and put your horn on a stand, the slide slid off and landed on the floor with the accompnaying dents, not to mention the cursing on my part. I had one put on;it has saved me a lot of grief. To those who claim that putting a valve affects the sound, I would say you are full of balloon juice. Put one on as it's an easy job if done by qualified people.:thumbsup:

9. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I have a Bach Strad C that I borrowed from a friend. No 3rd valve slide water key, and the end doesn't pull out. I have to leave the stop off so that I can empty it. I don't like that very much.

10. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Funny, until this thread I hadn't thought about it. I never empty my third valve slide.