Third valves sticks only when I playing notes like E flat

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetfart123, May 27, 2013.

1. trumpetfart123

trumpetfart123 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi,

I have a problem with the third valve sticking. This only happens when I am playing notes, which envolve pressing down valves two and three simultaneously, like E Flat. But if I just press down the third valve by itself it pops back up again, no problem.

Has anybody come accross this, and how can you fix it?

The trumpet I have is a Yamaha Intermediate made in China.

Many thanks
    Antony

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    maybe when you are playing the angle that you push the valve down is slightly different. valves get worn in at different angles due to different players. is your horn used? if so the valves may be worn in at a different angle then you are using.

3. trumpetfart123

trumpetfart123 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your help.

I bought the trumpet new, and I had already been playing for a year. If I press the third valve it is fine, but if I press both the second and third together, the third one sticks. Weird uh...

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How often do you clean the horn? Do you snake out the ports between the casing? If I have a valve problem which is infrequent, it's usually the 3rd and it's because it's dirty. More valve oil won't fix the problem. I wouldn't think that a 1 yr old horn would have "memory", but it is made in China. If cleaning doesn't work, take it to a qualified technician who can properly diagnose the problem.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    My first thought would also be operator error. What happens when you take your pinky out of the pinky hook?

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Are you operating the third valve slide at the same time as playing 2+3 notes?

Somebody asked a similar question in this thread:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/3rd-vale-sticking-3rd-valve-slide-67004.html

...and I responded in a pseudo-science fashion which may or may not be valid (since I don't actually know the answer - but would like to) though I wasn't challenged on this.

Some other responses there may help.

--bumblebee

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Me too, and I agree with Dave that it might be an angle thing. I wonder what the result is pressing 2 & 3 with the index and middle finger....

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    In the words of Claude Gordon "lift the fingers high and strike the valves hard"

9. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    I agree with the above. Clean the valves and the pistons. And then focus on how you play the instrument, the angle you hold the instrument, the angle that you put the fingers on the valve, the speed yo u take your fingers off the the valves. All these things make a difference.

10. applianceguy

applianceguy Pianissimo User

May 22, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    I had the same thing happen with my made in Japan Yamaha, but it was #1 valve would stick only in the upper register. Turns out that cleaning it really good and lightly lubing the valves B4 each use, solved the problem.

Be careful when cleaning your brand new horn!! I feel that the tolerances should be kept intact as long as possible.., and cleaning your horn too often or using an acidic/abrasive cleaner will destroy your compression!! Take the valves out and inspect them closely under a magnifying glass and strong lighting. If you see any burrs aroud the openings, remove these as gently as possible. You actually want to keep these openings sharp and edgy as this helps to "cut" the airflow. Also inspect the cylinders for burrs. thes can be removed carefully with a round file. If you do not feel confident.., then take it to a professional shop.

My $.02

Richard