This HAS got to be the BEST trumpet playing I ever heard!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, Jul 18, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  2. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Very well put Rowuk.

3. Nearpsited3

Nearpsited3 New Friend

Apr 5, 2009
    No Offense, this is great playing, but if this is the best you've ever heard, you should to listen to some Freddie or Clifford....

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    This is a different meal, buddy...both a great in his own way.

5. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    At a clinic I went to in 1977, Maynard described himself as a high velocity player. He held his horn up in the air and said that you needed to put energy behind the trumpet to make the notes higher. The higher you play, the more energy required behind the horn. Of course Maynard was great at illustrating that. He played a triple C that made even his own trumpet section gasp.

The question is, was the crouched legs and arching just part of his act or was it really neccessary to produce the amazing type of playing he got from his horn? Based on the calm way he looked when he was way, way younger, I'd say that the body language was mostly an act. Then, when I see other gifted high note players look like they are playing a very slow relaxed warm-up routine as their hitting double C's, I decide that Maynard really put some showmanship behind his work. He had such a great knack for building up to this very improbably, unlikely climax at the end of a cadenza- where you're just sure he's not going to be able to live up to it, then just when you're sure he can't do it, he exceeds your expecation.

Not only that, I still don't think anyone else ever quite sounded as good as he did in the upper register either. He had the show and the skill, all rolled into one.

6. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    I am saddened by the thought of how much great trumpet music we are without since Clifford died so young. That's decades of great trumpet solos we'll never hear. Freddie and Clifford were tremendous jazz trumpet players. At the level all three of these guys are, I don't think we can say one is better than the other. It's a matter of personal taste. I love them all, but Maynard is just my favorite for his sheer physical playing style and technique.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This comes with the territory. There is no guarantee that had any of the greats lived longer that their musical output would have linearly increased.
    I think it is great when we take it as it comes. Keep an open mind for new inspiration and a special place for tradition. We need it all!

8. NickD

NickD Forte User

IMHO, Maynard was playing some AMAZING stuff on this clip. That thing at the end of the tune was simply beautiful.

Now, there was some dissension about my post with Jon Faddis playing and amazing take on Donna Lee. I would have the same reaction, as others did to that. We're comparing apples to oranges when we compare Maynard to Clifford. I can enjoy a Van Gough painting as much as I can enjoy a Jackson Pollack. I couldn't say one was better than the other.

If you really want to hear Maynard and Clifford, check out the Max Roach/Dinah Washington LP on which the trumpets are MF, Clifford, and Clark Terry! Whoaaaa... Good stuff.

Just love 'em all! We need tham all!

Peace.

Nick

9. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I'm sure you were being facetious... I'd like to see someone play low without valves. :lol:

10. NickD

NickD Forte User

See right around 7:34. The camera agc obfuscates things a bit, but you get the idea.

Oh, and in the context of this thread, this IS facetious! ;-)

YouTube - Embouchure Design Revisited

Peace!

Nick