This here Conn and Bach

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Sep 4, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    ANSWER THIS QUESTION ONLY IF YOU'VE PLAYED ONE OR BOTH OF THESE MODELS, OR ARE GENERALLY KNOWLEDGABLE ABOUT THE MAKERS. I have a 1963 Conn Victor 22B. I'm trying a 2001 Bach Omega. I'm using a Mega 3C on both. I experience the Conn as: lighter in my hand, A+valve action, slotting good, medium blow, sort'a in tune w/itself?. Then there's the Bach Omega. My experience is: more in tune w/itself,easy blow, slots well, big volume sound, B+ on valve action (might improve w/different oil), heavier than the Conn, valve casing feels closer to my face, sound is some-what appealing to me (certainly not ideal). Can someone comment on these horns, and give some indication about why one is more a keeper than the other. Monitary value of both horns welcome. I know these kind of questions can be infuriating because the experience of every horn is subjective. But i'll appreciate your best effort.

thanks..........crow

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    One is a keeper because you like it better and feel it plays in tune better and is easy for you to make the kind of music you would like to be playing.

There really is no way for anybody who is not there listening and watching you play to give you any sort of informed decision as to which specific instrument of the two is better for you.

Regarding monetary value, they're each worth whatever anybody will pay you for it. The owner of the music store where I used to work as a repairman used to get into discussions with people who would show up wanting him to purchase their used instrument. He'd make them an offer, usually very low. They'd say "But Mr. X at MusicStoreZ told me it was worth $500!" My boss would say "Did he offer to pay you that much for it?" The answer was always "No." My boss would then say, "Then apparently he doesn't really think it's worth that much. I'll give you . . ." and he'd repeat his usually very low offer and most of the time they'd take it. Sometimes they'd leave and try to find another store which would buy it and they'd be back in a day or two to take him up on his offer. Usually he'd pay them what he'd said previously, but occasionally he'd offer them something lower because he'd bought another one or two just like it in the meantime. When I first started working there, I was shocked at that process and asked him about it, sort of outraged since I felt as he'd ripped them off. He would tell me "I made them an offer. I didn't force them to take it. If they'd left without taking me up on it, I'd be no worse off than before. I certainly don't need their instrument. It was their choice." That was my rude but effective introduction to the "value of used instruments" world.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Dhbailey is right on with his answer. Which one is better for you has to be your decision.

4. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    I'm not asking which one is BETTER FOR ME. My question is directed toward someone who has played or has knowledge about those instruments. With that in mind read my thread again, and if you haven't had a personal experience with one or both of those models don't answer the question.

crow

5. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    I have experience with the Conn 22B Victor.
    The 22B's of the 1940's had a sound more suitable for orchestra,
    but the 22B Victors from 1955 on had a brighter sound more suitable for jazz.
    Value on eBay varies according to condition.
    Extremely poor condition might be $100,
    mint condition might be $500,
    an average one on eBay sells for about $250 nowadays.

This chart at Conn Loyalist shows where the Conn 22B Victor was in the hierarchy of Conn trumpets:
    The Conn Loyalist

The Vintage Conn 22B Victor versus a 2001 Bach Omega
    is like comparing a Martin Committee trumpet to a Bach Strad trumpet.
    Neither is better than the other.
    Each is good for its intended purpose.
    The 22B Victor is better for jazz, the Bach is better for "legit" playing,
    although a professional player could probably get either trumpet to work for any type of music if he had to.

Dean

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    What do you want? Here is the question from your original post. It seems that each commenter has addressed that question. What other factors could you be looking for? You have no indication that the commenters do not meet your criteria for being qualified to answer. Maybe if you rephrased your question, you would get some comments that are more what you are looking for. I read your post 3 times and still do not know.

7. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    ChaseFan,
    Thanks a lot, you've provided exactly what I was looking for, and more!

crow

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I have no experience on either horn, and I wasn't going to reply until I saw this.

I'd say pick the one that is better for you...

9. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    I wouldn't express this except it is something that is needed on this forum:
    THERE'S NOTHING BETTER THAN A GOOD FRIEND, AND PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND YOUR LANGUAGING.
    If you take this personally it's you I'm addressing.

crow