this is bad...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skankin'dan, Mar 11, 2008.

1. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    1 year and two months ago, I lost most of my range and tone in one day with no explanation. It's been 2 months since I pretty much got everything back the way it was.

3 days ago... it happened again... i went down from a decent dhg to struggling to play f and can barely manage to play the g below dhg. Its not that I don't have the power, but when I blow all i get is air. And this all happened in a day.
    So can anyone explain what the heck happened? And better yet, how do I fix it? Thanks.

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    It's extremely hard to tell anything from what you've posted... or in general just in a chat type forum. The best bet would be to find a local pro/teacher and get with them.

Just from reading what you said though it may be an apperture problem. If you are blowing and you hear the air, there is no buzz. The apperture may be too big to allow for the lips to vibrate. Try starting from a closed set, meaning both lips touching together and try to buzz.

Relaxation, concentration, and air. Range only comes from having solid fundamnetals so get back to the basics and make sure you ain't doing anything to hinder yourself - too much pressure, tension, etc.

Hopefully some other folks will chime in.

3. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Sometimes it can be all in your head. I'm not saying this is the case, but it's happened to me that I've just lost confidence for a second, and it spiraled downhill from there. Trumpet playing relies on confidence to a certain point. You have to know you can hit the notes you are playing to hit them. Just take a rest for today and maybe tomorrow, relax, don't think about it, and get back at it whenever. Try not to think about it and get too technical. Just relax.Open up your airways and freely blow through the instrument like you have many, many times before. Think to yourself, "Nothing has changed, all is still well." Hope this helps. :)

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    My job is to question whether you are playing a double high G.
    I think you are playing a G above high C.
    If that is the case and you crap out for awhile then you need to slow down and stop trying to play high notes you are not ready for.

Do this: Keep a copy of Buglers Holiday on your music stand. Once a week play it through perfectly and hold the high C at the end for the full number of counts.
    When you can do that, the next time you try it play a high C then punch the first valve and hold a high D for the full number of counts. If you can't play the high D then go back to range exercises. Over a year or two play the high C than scale up a step to E than keep practiceing to get the F and on to the double high G you were talking about.

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    No we can't to be honest with you :-(

6. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    well its not that I didn't have that dhg, its that it gones.... along with everything an octave down....

It's happened before, but it doesn't get better, which is the problem. Last time I was back at square one, and im afraid this is a repeat of last time's scenario.

7. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    If you have the range one day, then get nothing but air the next day, then there is a problem going on with your embochure. As pointed out by someone else above, it sounds like your not getting a buzz...this could be too large an aperture...or could be too much pressure. It's interesting that you have the range, then it goes, then after working on it for a while it eventually comes back....

This cycle indicates to me that you are doing something with your embochure that is eventually damaging or tiring the muscles. You eventually get back because the muscles have repaired or relaxed then you blow them out again.

I'd recommend a good teacher. I would guess that you have some fundamental changes to make.

bigtiny

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    if you lose EVERYTHING at once, two things come to mind:

your daily routine stinks (way too much force)
    or
    you need to go to a doctor.

I see this a lot with young players that can play high notes, but not correctly. The face muscles can only take so much beating before they go on strike. This would also apply to players that have too much on their plate. The cure is simply being nicer to your chops. We advocate practicing VERY softly, not beating oneself up, correct breathing, relaxed body use. There are simply a ton of things that increase reliability and consistency. Maybe you need to take a day off once a week, reduce your practice to multiple 30 min. sessions with a decent break in between.

The doctor part is no joke either. Blood pressure, hydration, blood sugar and many other things (like medication) can directly affect our playing. DIY can be dangerous here!

9. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    It sounds to me like you lack endurance. Which is my case as well, don't you worry ;). If I practice too much, it seems I plateau. If I relax and spend time relaxing between practice sessions and let my lips "heal", it does wonders.

Also, while I'm sitting in front of my computer and typing an answer on TM or TH, I do pencil exercise. :)

Yesterday, I practiced and found my range was more solid, sound wise.

10. Miyot

Miyot Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2007
    rowuk sounds right. I have to be careful about beating my self up. I haven't lost sound like you explain. But, and this happens quick for me. I start having trouble making my horn speak, and my upper range suffers a little.

If I listen and be kind to my chops, I am back to normal in a few days. If I press on and continue heavy loud practise may range goes. Then I have a gig, I must use force, and still I'm not there. Its a downward spiral.

Recovery is weird. Time off didn't really help much, although I take at least 1 day off per week. I had to practise, making sure to take it easy, soft playing. Doing less than I thought I should. 30 min sessions. Eventually (actually 3-4 weeks) getting back to my old self.

I still have to be careful. To many long, hard practises and a gig, and I start back down hill. If I work it right I stay pretty consistent. For me that is the hard part.