This is horrible

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Manny Laureano, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
  2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You know Manny, it's interesting how we make such a big deal out of our natural disasters here in the states - I don't mean to downplay them at all, but what we experience here sometimes pales in comparison to the devestation experienced elsewhere in the world, yet we Americans with our blinders on oft times pay it little attention.

In January of 2001, a MAJOR earthquake rocked India and killed over 30,000 people - to me that number of deaths defies definition - I can't even fathom it. Yet, as bad as that situation was, it quickly disappeared out of the American news.

My heart goes out to those people too - those who have lost loved ones, have been injured or have lost their homes deserve our thoughts prayers, and support.

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I'm not attempting to downplay the situation, but there was recently a discussion on this website about how the American media fabricated horrible stories about Katrina. My thoughts on this story are mixed. Of course, my first reaction is of compassion for those affected. But after that, I find myself skeptical... Are the numbers inflated for shock value? What is the purpose of the article, to feed the public appetite for horrible news, or a genuine effort to imform the American public of a legitimate situation.
    Again, I'm not in any way trying to downplay the tragedy of what has happened, I'm just questioning the overtly pessemistic view that the media portrays.
    -jimi

4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I don't think it's being hyped.

The real problem is it's almost impossible to tell how many are dead and injured..I visited this part of the world about 20 years ago. It is without a doubt some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen with a history of civilistation that we Europeans can't imagine. The people are wonderful (if a little suspicious of Europeans) and they have nothing, absolutely nothing. Most villages aren't even accessible by road and if they are 'road' is a very loose word. In any case I believe that many of those roads are now cut off by avalanches.

The UN reckons that there 800,000 Afghani refugees in this area alone (North West Frontier Province and Kashmir) let alone the native Kashmiris and Peshawaris.

I know these numbers are scary but I suspect that we'll never know the real numbers. In Muslim tradition the dead are buried within 24 hours and there are no 'official' agencies apart from the large towns.

Regards,

Trevor

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's much like the earthquake of 2001 where they estimated 30,000 gone, and they said that due to the conditions that the real number would never be known.

It's horrible and I hope that we can do what we can to help them get back on their feet after this disastrous tragedy.

6. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    What worrie,s me as well is that cali is on the list FOR REAL!

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Have you heard stuff about earthquakes on the way for the near future? Please say "no".

ML

8. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    There is a little comfort though....California's building codes are much more strict than those of the countries we have seen with incredibly high death tolls. Most deaths in these earthquake tragedies are caused by faulty, weak building infrastructure. Now, I am not saying that an earthquake is not something to be afraid of, but Cali has survived several big ones in the past without the high death toll of other places.