This is why I post here (and not on TH)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Octiceps, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Octiceps

Octiceps Pianissimo User

May 5, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Ok, so I was lurking around the TrumpetHerald forums today, and I came across another one of those "bash Bach" threads that seem to materialize every other day or so. You know, the ones that eventually turn into online shouting matches incorporating elements of hypocrisy, politics, extreme brand loyalty, shilling, accusations of shilling, and various other forms of mudslinging. It amazes me how much nonsense some people possess and have the time to post on those forums. Give me a break. Just go play your horn instead.

Here's the link to the thread if you're interested:

Forum: trumpetherald.com

It starts to get dicey around page 3.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Life's too short ....

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I guess those folks have nothing else to do. I need to be playing and practicing.

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    I contribute to both TM and TH and notice that there are those who like Bach and stand up for the brand. Others don't like Bach and say so. Sadly, there are some that don't like Bach, but have never played or owned one. Sometimes you have to "take with a grain of salt" what people say. There are good posters on the two forums (and others), but you have to sort out the information given and not always take what is said as absolute. That's why we have an intellect to sort out good information from bad. It's not the fault of the forums if we fail to do that.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The community is what we make it. The reasons that people post are extremely varied. To be honest, I am not interested in shouting matches. I would welcome a scientifically conducted survey on the qualities of Bach, Schilke or other brand instruments. To do so, we would have to also factor in the BS/trchnical understanding of the players themselves.

For instance, intonation problems can be the horn, but also the miserable breathing of the player. Stuffy or slotting can be the horn, but also the room where we practice. Without enough background and qualified responses the opinions are like anuses (or is that anii?). The sun doesn't shine there and we know what comes out of it. It is easy to take cheap shots at a variety of subjects.

For the most part, the ignorant are challenged here at TM and don't get carried away after they discover that nobody is interested in an opinion that has no base. Instead of blasting stupid away with more stupid, we do try and educate. We have our share of out of hand threads that need moderation though.

To be honest, I don't think that links to ignorance belongs in the trumpet forum. This is actually lounge stuff. I appreciate the fact that the thread owner likes to post here but will watch where this thread goes before deciding whether to move it.

6. Octiceps

Octiceps Pianissimo User

May 5, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Ok, feel free to move it if it gets out of hand. Thank goodness we have such proactive moderators here on TM.

7. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Where's the bearded lady?

8. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    It makes me laugh a bit that they have an entire forum dedicated to range and the improvement of said range... :roll:

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

10. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I have posted on TH for a long time - before this site even existed - and on several occasions, decided to stop due to frustration. I continue to post, but with far less frequency, and I spend much less time on that site than in the past.

There is a big, what I would call equipment "fixation" or "obsession", and with range on TH. There also used to be an area of major controversy called "politics and religion" until it was wisely shut down - should have never been opened in the first place.

I have finally, after some years of experience, decided that the only way to tolerate that kind of forum is to be extremely selective about what I read and what I choose to post. Often, I have to ask myself and remind myself exactly why and for what reason I participate at any level or purpose. Mostly, I am seeking whether any quality discussion has taken place on a particular topic, or whether I might accidentally come upon a topic of interest. A great deal of the posting seems to come from young, inexperienced people who are looking for short-cuts and so-called "magic" solutions to things which anyone with maturity and experience would realize don't exist.

There are some good quality posts and some good discussions here and there, interspersed with a lot of junk dealing with everything imaginable, such as questions about what equipment will make a person a world class player without putting in the years of effort and work, to what is the magic mouthpiece, to how to get unlimited range, to how high a school student be able to play, etc.

I know that probably 95% of what comes out of any horn is based on the player behind that horn. Much of TH does not realize, or at least accept, that reality. Equipment is far less the issue than many realize or are willing to accept.

So, I guess my advice and opinion is to be selective, to use wisdom and discernment, and to avoid discussions which are no win situations - and there are certainly many of those to be found on TH.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010