This is why I post here (and not on TH)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Octiceps, Jul 14, 2010.

1. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    One of the very best players I ever had the opportunity to play with and beside, and who taught me a lot, played on an old, beat up Bach Strad and a Bach 3C mouthpiece. Often I wondered why he never got a newer horn in better shape. I never really asked him, and maybe by now, he has done so. If there was ever a player who should have had a better horn based on what he could do with any horn he played, it was this guy. He was born to play the trumpet.

But, on that old Strad, he could really play. Great sound, ability to play just about any style with ease, exceptional range, very solid technique in terms of articulation, accuracy, excellent intonation, flexibility, etc. Close your eyes and you would never guess it came out of that old Strad.

Some people think that you can buy the ability to be a great player with money spent on equipment. Nope. Nice horns are nice horns, but until they get into the hands of a great player, they just sit still.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I don't think anyone REALLY thinks that. We may kid around, but I do believe we know better. Shortcuts just ain't.

tedh1951 likes this.
  3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Agreed, and there is an enourmous spectrum to cover when talking about "accomplished and/or experienced" too. I've got a ton of gigging experience since I started gigging over 20 years ago, but there is a lot of that experience that isn't exactly what I'd call high end experience. Heck, my Latin Band days were my test tube for figuring out some things about my chops and range in a low pressure setting. Man, me and my friend Rusty would just go for it - sometimes we'd hit, sometimes....well, let's just forget I mentioned it! :oops:

So even then you have to take it with a grain of salt. Even though I've been gigging regularly a long time, it still doesn't mean that I'm anything other than average as a player. :-)

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    If only accomplished players posted here you 10 guys would be major bored....
    And by the way, I could use some help in the entertainment section back here!

:-)

5. BigTuna101

BigTuna101 New Friend

Jul 10, 2010
    Richmond Hill, GA
    Sorry guys, meant to quote veery715 on this...

"I don't think anyone REALLY thinks that. We may kid around, but I do believe we know better. Shortcuts just ain't."

One would be surprised...

Sophmore year of high school, one of the less skilled players in our band who had been using a student level Yamaha since he had started went out and bought a YTR8335RGS. I remember one particular comment from our first chair player that the new horn actually made him sound worse overall because he didn't quite have the chops to fill it up.

This reiterates the statement "It's the player behind the instrument." Rather than spend all that money on a great trumpet, he probably should have gotten some lessons. Or just not bought that instrument at all.

But now that I've ranted, I'll get to the original discussion. TM so far has provided me with lots of good information through intelligent discussion, rather than through mudslinging. Thanks guys, for making this a chill place to be. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In other words, active pros!

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I am just an average player and my wife is a much better player. What we have found is that neither one of us can agree on a certain mouth piece [even brand much less size] and we have only agreed on one horn that we both liked. Different equipment works for different people so never put down someones equipment no matter what it is, it may be the best set up for that player. One other thing, I was down in New Orleans years ago and was talking to great player. I asked him what he played on and he said he really didn't know. When he is traveling he always hits the pawn shops and tries out old horns. He doesn't care what brand it is, if it feels good then he buys it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  8. sd4f

sd4f New Friend

Dec 30, 2009
    That's the thing, good players, it won't really matter what they play on, could probably play as well on a vuvuzela, let alone an actual trumpet. :play:

9. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    Could "VuvuzelaMaster.com" be far behind??? :dontknow:

David

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Hey, experience is experience. I'm not saying I'm much more than a hack, either, but after playing for 40+ years on a wide variety of horns in marching band, concert band, church orchestra, big band, British brass band, Civil War band, brass quintet, stage band, society band, and symphony orchestra (and actually being paid for some of it), my opinions are at least as good as most...;-), and I'm very proud of how well our brass band did at the NABBA competition a couple years ago - it was a great experience.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010