This is why I post here (and not on TH)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Octiceps, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Esgaroth

Esgaroth New Friend

Jun 16, 2010
  2. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Horn bashing reminds me of the breed people I used to show against at AKC events. Very few did anything with their dogs, except show them; and bash others.

There are only a few rules to horn playing.

RULE 1: PEOPLE COMPLICATE EVERYTHING.
    Horns are simple. Find a horn/ mouthpiece, that you are comfortable with, buy it and play and enjoy the hell out of it.

RULE 2: IGNORE PEOPLE!

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Rules to live by, Mrsemman! Horns are simple, aren't they? Shiny, they warm right up, act the same way every time you encounter them, only 3 buttons to get pushed. Geez, if people were that simple ..... :roll:

Esgaroth, thanks for the AB video.

That's brilliant. In the hands of football (soccer) fans, the Vuvuzela is a whole lot of insolent noise .... Give one to Alison Balsom and it's like, release the hounds! A ride in the country or a royal procession. Good evidence there that it IS the player and not the horn.

Hope we don't see Vuvuzela posts in here in the future though, bashing a color or touting the virtues of one type of PVC over another ...... :shhh:

Turtle

4. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I admit to being a participant in the aformentioned thread where folks were thrashing about, but that's the essence of things at TH. I like it there for what it is, and I like it here for what TM represents, as rowuk explained pretty nicely. Yes, there are those will little or no experience who go on and on about horns or mpcs, and often enough you can tell from their posts if they are generally educated and passionate. As or Bach bashing, well, that's just silliness. I've seen the same inconsistencies in custom made horns, like my Harrelson, to Bachs.

Conversely, you can't tell me that Lew Soloff sounds much different on his Sonare than his old Med NY Bach. It's still Lew.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  5. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I for one am all about whatever works, play it. I play the trumpet that I play because it sounds good. The brand is something I don't really worry about. If it plays good, play it. If it sounds good, play it. If you play well, you'll sound good, if you don't you wont. If people spent half the time they spend complaining about how their horn is holding them back or how people shouldn't buy a certain horn simply because of the numbers stamped on the valves practicing, there would be a hell of a lot more great players out there. Trumpets are tools. Do I enjoy them from a collecting aspect? To an extent. But to me, a trumpet is a tool in my profession. I don't know any mechanics who compare their air hammers.

Practice. Play. Listen. Enjoy.

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Brass Crusader,

I tend to agree with you. Some claim their brand of instrument makes them sound better while it doesn't mean it will be the "choice of instrument" for another person.

Some try different instruments and mouthpieces that they believe make them sound better, only to have a listener say otherwise.

Some musicians can make a "kazoo" sound professional and they sound good with any brass instrument they play. It is more a matter of skill, technique, practice and so forth.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    So we go play to the sunset? I love to play for people. It is the reason I practice. Maybe I should ignore other trumpet players? When they're yakking about equipment I join right in, and if they're yakkin' about my playing, I listen.

So lets face it, people do count. But keep your salt shaker handy.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The major "discussions" are not by people really playing for a living - rather those talking about playing for a living.

I do not believe that if it works, it is OK. First of all, we have no quantification about "what works" means second we haven't decided where the "good enough" border is. If we want to use Bach bashing as an example here, we need to define what is really happening. How far out of tune is it when played with good support and chop strength. As far as the inconsistent blow, how do we even define this or how to measure it? If we play the same horn indoors and outdoors, it will ALWAYS be much "stuffier" outdoors because the player does not hear themselves as well.

I will be the first to admit that my opinion of Bach instruments is very widespread, depending on the instrument. Still, they are professional instruments and regardless of how "bad", not going to be in the way of a decent player. For less than decent players, they will have similar problems regardless of the instrument.

The solution is play before you pay - or only pay first if you have a good exchange policy.

The stupid comparisons with no scientific base can be ignored because either the player is not qualified, the comparison is flawed due to no constants or the poster has an axe to grind and couldn't tell the objective truth if they had to.

It would be VERY beneficial for players without much experience to learn to read before turning the blog transmission on.

9. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

At least I haven't some idiot here claiming that playing lip slurs gives you a bad sound.

10. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    eat better pizza!