This might be embarrassing...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Yamypappy, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Yamypappy

Yamypappy New Friend

Jul 3, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    (he said red faced) but here goes:

Lately, I have had an issue with moisture collecting in the 2nd valve. After I play a bit, I typically blow out the water keys on the main tuning slide and the 3rd valve slide. But no moisture comes out. I start in again, and get a gurgling. Blow out waterkeys again, to no avail. Then check second valve crook, and low and behold, its in the 2nd valve-great gobs of water. I thoroughly blow that out (which is embarrassing enough, seeing as how you can't just discreetly open a water key and blow). In a short while, it is back again. For practice, I can live with it. But when I get to doing gigs again, I don't want to be blowing out the 2nd valve in front of an audience.

I have left the horn on its stand, hoping to dry it out over night. I have put it away in the case so it's on it's side. Neither helps. Interestingly, this is a new problem I've never encountered before. It is almost like more water is accumulating in the horn than I put through it. Oil is Hetman's No. 2. That's the only change I have made. Switched from Al Cass.

Anyone have any ideas?

Wade

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Yeah, I've got some ideas. First of all, who cares what an audience thinks - you need to get the water out of the horn first and foremost, so do it and don't over think it.

Second, I've typically always just removed my first valve slide tipped the horn upright, bell facing the ceiling, and then pressing valves 1 and 2, blow HARD - that water will come out that way. I've always done this, no matter where I'm playing - I really don't care what an audience may think - it's preferable to having gurgling going on with a river in your horn.

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Try giving the horn a clean out, especially checking the openings for the water keys. They may be partially blocked.:oops:

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It has nothing to do with that - water accumulates due to condensation of warm, moist air on the cooler metal. I don't ever remember having an issue with it in my early years of playing - either I wasn't playing enough, or I started moving more air through horn or something, but it's something I've dealt with regardless of the horn - Bachs, my Schilke and now my Jupiter 1600i.

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I always work the valves and blow hard while holding the third slide water key open. I get a lot of spit, I can flood a trumpet to the point where I'm blowing it out of the bell

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Never had an issue with water in second until I got my rotary B&S. Not much but it does tend to collect there for some reason. Just made a mental note of it. Nothing to worry about.

7. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    I have had problems with water in my 2nd valve also. I have been able to clear it by removing the bottom valve cap and moving the valves while shaking the horn. Most of it comes out when I shake the cap. Sometimes get the cap back on quickly can be a problem. In a panic the horn plays fine with it off.
    Bobby

8. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    I had an issue with my 2B collecting large amounts of water in the second valve which then had to be removed by pulling the crook and blowing it out. It turned out to be a partially blocked main water key. It was gunked up enough to not allow all the water out when I emptied it. It was up high enough that it was hard to see. Cleaned out the hole and voila! Problem solved.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Hold the horn with the bell down, depress the 2nd and 3rd valves, and shake the horn up and down. The water should go into the 3rd valve slide, where it can be emptied through the water key.

edfitzvb likes this.
  10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    If water is collecting in the 2nd, it indicates you are holding the horn with a tilt, so the moisture is running to the lowest point. Check how straight you are holding it. Simply tilt it slightly the other way so the water runs back into the valves, and do as a couple have said...hold 2nd and 3rd pistons down, and empty from the 3rd.

It may also be a bad alignment on the second, so the shake is a good suggestion, if the moisture is being held back by the alignment at the port.

It should be a quick thing to fix, once you identify the source, and have a technique that works...but my bet the root cause is the tilt where the valves are allowing moisture to run to the lowest point. Just tilt it back and blow it out.