This might be embarrassing...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Yamypappy, Sep 2, 2015.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Count de Monet: "Tout à fait. The shake. Wait for the shake!"

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    editing

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Never had this problem, but the tilt suggested above seems like a reasonable answer. I play with the horn tilted to the right so that the right hand can have a more comfortable grip and arch for the fingers on the valves. As a result, the second valve slide is a low point. It is so small that I have never given any thought to it's collection of water. I really don't have a gurgling problem and I think I play more at the wet end of the scale. I have noticed that if I am playing hard, and who among us doesn't like to do that, I can get a small streak of water to come out of the bell. I am usually proud of this accomplishment even though I use my water keys quite often and can make quite a puddle. I did special order my Getzen with the traditional lever action water keys because the amatos didn't empty fast enough, so the suggestion above to check for a partial blockage of the spit valve opening would be in order. Good luck with your problem. Best wishes.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I find water tends to collect in different places depending on which horn I'm using, though I think I hold each trumpet the same way. My Shires collects it the all the slides, the Committee mainly the 1st and 2nd, the Recording the 3rd and the Strad the second and sometimes 3rd. And to differing amounts. The Recording seems to be the "best" in this regard - the energy with which I play it must evaporate the water if it settles.

The flugelhorn is a bit different, and more annoying. Most of the water collects after the valve block down where the main water key is, and oddly (to me) a lot of water collects there no matter how I'm feeling. Water also collects in the 3rd slide which has a spit valve and a trigger and though a bit drops out when I use the key I find I can only empty it adequately by rotating the flugelhorn and blowing so the water ends up at the main water key, or even pouring out the bell. The "more annoying" bit is still a sort of mystery in that after I've emptied the horn of water so far as I know, including the second slide, I get a gurgle when I play notes using the second valve - but that slide is empty. It seems the frequency of some notes using the second valve (mainly E or F# or Ab on the staff) is resonating with some of the missed water somewhere in there - just not in the 2nd slide. I think it's in the lower tube, and I can alleviate it during playing by holding the flugelhorn more horizontal so any water in the long tube is spread out. I can get that last bit of water out by removing slides and doing a fair bit of shaking, turning and blowing.

I don't like dumping spit onto the carpet, or somebody else's floor if I'm not at home, so I mostly use a handkerchief to catch the water, however it comes out.

--bumblebee

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    So it seems to me that the advent of air conditioning has worsened this problem of condensation, but the long term opposite would have that yuck you blow drying inside your instrument as would require meticulous swabbing. Too, I agree that lever water keys function the best ( when the corks are well set ).

6. Yamypappy

Yamypappy New Friend

Jul 3, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    So, took various suggestions, for instance checking water keys for blockages. They were open. Tried blowing water to the third valve slide and emptying with the water key. That worked sometimes, and reasonably well and mostly, but I still get accumulations in the 2nd valve. I keep a cloth now to insert and suck out the accumulated water, which avoids having to blow the trumpet facing up and so everyone can see. Of course, no less that Allison Balsom is not above blowing and shaking out her water keys in front of a concert audience, so why should a lowly individual like myself worry about it. As Patrick admonishes, one must get the water out somehow. Meanwhile, I haven't solved the mystery of why this is suddenly a problem except that as I get older, my body changes. Oh well...

On another note, I am up to an hour face time in two sessions. First session working on exercises, the second on music. My teacher doesn't seem to concerned about my exercises, I guess feeling that I will be able to solve those problems mostly on my own, or will highlight where I am having problems. He is more interested in my musicianship, and has highlighted a number of areas to work on. Of course, these have improved my exercises as well. 'tis the time of year to begin working on Christmas music, no? And I love Christmas music.

Wade

7. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Please forgive me for quoting myself, but there is something that needs to be clarified here. The leadpipe and tuning slide of my horn is swabbed every single time I play it and yet this happened. The tuning slide is and remains impeccably clean, but in spite of that, gunk still collects in the water key hole. Perhaps this is a result of regular swabbing, I don't know. It is difficult to see unless you open the water key and hold it on such an angle that you can see well up inside.

I remove it by taking out the tuning slide, and while plugging the bottom slide, I blow a blast of air into the top slide while the water key is held open. Any residual is then scraped out with a jeweler's screwdriver.

I mention this because this problem bedeviled me for a long time, before a post here led to its solution. I had believed that my water key holes were clean because the horn is always swabbed before it goes back in the case.

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Perhaps it's the way you grip the horn. Did you use to make contact with the 2nd slide (which would make it warmer and limit condensation) and no longer do? Has your playing position changed at all? Is there a fan, different airflow, A/C? Does it happen everywhere, all the time? In any case, TrickG is right, do whatever it takes to clear the water, people hardly even see these things, don't worry about how it's going to look.