This might be the best trumpet playing I've ever heard..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, Jul 17, 2009.

1. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    That is if you like astounding technique, phenomonel sound, range, endurance and stunning cadenzas. Never knew about this clip before.

Music is a bit corny, but damn! Doc is amazing.

YouTube - Doc Severinsen "McArthur Park"

2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Great, Doc was in top form.!:thumbsup:

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I like Doc a lot but the outfit makes him look like the Liberace of trumpets.

4. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Can you guys imagine this: Doc and Maynard in the same band back in around 1949!?
    Two stars before they were even stars.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My pool of "best playing ever" is at least 5000 performances strong involving 20-30 trumpet players. Now I have one more in the pile!

Maynard was a guest on the Tonight Show so I am sure that there may be some video footage of the two together - probably not with McArthur Park though.

6. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Every night for many years, Johnny Carson would feature Doc and the band. We would stay up (just kids back then) to listen. This would be at midnight in our area!Trumpet and big band at its finest.

Pete

7. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    He sucks.....haha, just kidding! I'm not in to Doc at all, but I want to! Can you recomend any records with him, that shows this kind of playing? Great video! :-)

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    The best recording (for me) was Doc Severinsen with the Command All-Stars. EVERYBODY on the recording was extremely listen-able. There was a great version of Bluesette with triple tonguing to die for, After You've Gone with a great flute solo, My Funny Valentine.... It was a two album set. My wife cleared out all the vinyl from my house. I have been looking for the set on CD, but I might have to buy an album and have it digitized. Just a joy to listen to. It was from the '60's or so, and it was given to me.
    Nice to see that clip shared. I found it about a month ago and I listen to it at least once a week. Doc's command of the instrument is inspiring to me. He has been ever since I first started seriously listening to him. However, SOME of his albums are not nearly as good as the one I cited (for my taste, anyway).

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Doc should be a role model for all trumpet players , you should hear him play classical, he has some recordings ,and used to guest with symphony orchestras across the country.

10. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Maybe it's me being nostalgic but I always liked MacArthur Park.