This might be the best trumpet playing I've ever heard..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    This is my favorite Doc Severinsen recording ever - however it's only the MacArthur Park half of it that I like. ;)

2. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Does anyone have the album, Doc Severinsen's Closet?

This is the first Doc Severinsen album I ever heard. My dad purchased it when I was around 11 years old. Probably made in about 1970.

It is full of Don Sebesky arrangements and they're a bit strange, but Doc sounds SOOOOO good. I love his playing on a chart called, Court of the Crimson King. Then on the end of this Beatles Medley, Doc hits a double high A with such great sound and power it'll knock your socks off.

I would love to have this recording on digital. My LP is old and scratched.
    I've looked everywhere for it, but it's rare. Just curious if any of you other guys might own this?

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I have the album Doc Severinsen's Closet, it's one of my favorites also, I have a lot of his recordings on the command label as well as his later recordings .

4. joefab

joefab Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2008
    Wow, thanks everyone....I am going to start looking for all these albums!

I "found" this version of Mcarthur Park" about a year ago. I couldn't stop listening to it! Until that point, the only big band version I had ever heard was Maynards....but that one I only listened to about 85,648 times...

For those who haven't heard Derek Watkins....please go to youtube and search his name....he aslo plays Mcarthur Park with the James Last orchestra. It is also absolutely, amazingly fantastic! I almost feel like I am betraying and being disloyal to my forever idol, Maynard....but I like Dereks' version the best...

But, all 3 versions are amazing!

5. joefab

joefab Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2008
    Oh yeah.....I forgot, you guys should also listen to the songs...My way and Rocky...that Derek plays with the orchestra!