This sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    I was wondering, is it possible to make this weird noise on every note?
    Seems like it works the best on this E. It's hard to get clean on other notes.

The first and last note I play are the once I'm talking about, the second is a normal note (sorry for bad articulation, you get the idea).
    https://soundcloud.com/flosd/this-sound/s-lE6vj

Regards

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    What are you doing to get that to happen?

3. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    Half fingering :D
    On this note it works best when the 1st valve is fully pressed, and the third about half way (starts to ring at a certain point)

Regards

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    So what's the end goal? Is it just a matter of curiosity, or are you looking for ways to employ and incorporate it into your playing if you can figure out a way to do it?

5. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    You can get that sound on the other notes too... by switching to violin haha

No jk, actually you are squeaking out a high E, so you can do the same thing on other notes by trying to play them a full octave higher and bending the pitch up a little.

6. treble_forte

treble_forte Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2007
    N. Ireland
    What horn is this?

I have experimented to, and listen to people who can do the multiphonics/extended techniques thing... this is quite unlike any half valve sound I am aware of. It's almost like a half valve mixed with an open pipe sound. Weird! I like it!

7. Rickyroughneck

Rickyroughneck Pianissimo User

Apr 22, 2012
    There is a lot of capacity for note bending that hasn't really been explored. Using different half valve combinations big glissandos are possible, but difficult. I use it sometimes but it never works out as well in practice as compared to in practice :cool:

I wish I could recreate Freddie Hubbard's sound at 2.01; it is ghostly.

8. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    I'm just experimenting, not sure if I'll implement this in my playing. Maybe later if I get it to something usefull.

I was using my Adams A4, but it also works on my Yamaha, but it's a bit harder to get it to sound.

I'll certainly experiment more with this, just for fun