This thread should be read by any trumpet player!!! Seriously!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by stradivarius151, Mar 24, 2012.

1. stradivarius151

stradivarius151 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2010
    DOUBLE C

Now that I have your attention- please read the whole thing if you want to know how to play one.

I'm playing lead on the First Circle in two days. "The First Circle" - Bob Curnow L.A. Big Band - YouTube This arrangement exactly, including the A at the end.

I've been able to hit it, but not all the time, and not with good sound or volume. It's not easy, playing a sixteenth note run up to an E for 11 beats, then up to the A from there, triple forte all the while.

I thought it was just me, not having played trumpet for more than four years. I thought that maybe when I got the Allen Vizzuti book (last week), that I'd become alot better at my upper register.

A few weeks ago I read a page on the website of Eddie Lewis, about reducing body tension. I tried it, and miraculously I owned the trumpet that day. I started doing flow studies on a deep Bach 3, and was able to do them up to High G and back down, effortlessly. I have not felt that since, despite my returns to that exercise.

For this lead thing, I'd been playing my 3C and now a Warburton 4M (7* backbore).

I came back to that page again today, hoping to find that place again, to no success. I stumbled upon a thread from here about not using pressure. It asked me to take out the tuning slide, play, and then apply pressure. If the pitch raised, I was not using pressure. If the pitch didn't raise, then I was using pressure. I did this on a low note, whatever comes out of the leadpipe. I was fine by that test, the pitch raised sufficiently.

Then it occured to me that pressure would not occur very much on a low C. I went up higher, above high C, and tried it. It turned out that I was using lots of pressure up there, killing my endurance/volume/range.

I concentrated on using no pressure. A Double C came out the leadpipe!!!! Then I tried with the tuning slide in, and another Double C came out!!!!

Then I played a few more. They felt right, and sounded right. I did have a mute in unfortunately (in consideration for the family). But come on! We all know it was THE DOUBLE C BEING PLAYED CORRECTLY!!!

Please try this little test! You may find your Double C leaping out!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I like my DHC's with the tuning slide IN....

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Your little experiment proves NOTHING. It does not prove that you are capable of a double C or use/don't use pressure. What happens with the leadpipe out has NOTHING to do with the trumpet, or your embouchure when playing normally.

If it makes you feel good, put a second horn on stage and you can switch for that one high note (hopefully the tune is in the same key).

Range is based on the integration of your body use, breathing, ears, brains and chops. Reading something blocked the brains for a minute. They will come back on their own. Good luck finding a real routine that lets you play the notes for real in context.

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the correlation do you finding Double C while practicing (on the lead pipe and then muted) and you being able to play the lead chart you're talking about.

I think the way you discovered your Double C is great. Slowly, softly, and with little pressure. Once you "find" that setup the goal is to remember it, repeat it, and then work it into playing situations. This usually takes a while.

Applying that new discovery to your current playing situation is another story. I think you'll find it difficult to "turn on" your new setting at the end of a loud chart somewhere in the middle of (or at the end of) your set. If you try, the results may not be what you're expecting.

I was covering the lead book in a rehearsal band last week and by the end of night hitting A above high C was a LOT of work/concentration to pull off, so I can't imagine doing it after just discovering the mechanics.

Again, kudos for unlocking one of the pieces to playing Double C.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Bob Curnow lives in my region and leads a really fine band in the Pacific Northwest, as well as his band in LA. Neat guy, great charts. If you've unlocked the secret to the DHC, great, but those a's can be slippery!