This time I'm not kidding...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Gentles all,

I have an announcement.

At the risk of sounding like the boy who cried wolf...

A few weeks ago I told some of you folks that I would have an announcement regarding my role with the MO.

The contract for the gentleman who was our assistant conductor is up and it wasn't renewed. This is a different position from Associate conductor which is a higher, better paying gig with more responsibilities. They didn't have enough time to hold the usuual auditions for the Assistant gig, so...

The job was offered and accepted by two of the other musicians in the band and myself.

Don't get too excited, it's really not that much conducting, it's more of a cover conductor job to be split up by the thre of us. Cover conductors stay in the hall, listen for balance, learn the scores as well as the engaged conductor for the week and silently hope the guy drops dead or at least gets an arm broken.

I do, however, get my own Young Persons concert which is enough in and of itself. My program will be "Viva Latino", oddly enough. The program had been basically set but I managed to get a few of my own ideas in and I'll get to write the script.

The weeks where I'm covering, I won't be playing in the orchestra, so, it's the real deal and no, it's not a joke. This time it's legit.

ML

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Manny,

Is it something you've been wanting to get into? You would undoubtedly bring a different perspective to the orchestra from out front. Can you ever imagine waving the baton in a performance of, say, Alpine Symphony...now that's one time I wouldn't want to be a trumpet player!!

Can I have your chair when you're not using it? (Join a very, very, very long que of very, very , very talented players)

Sounds like a challenge.

Regards,

Trevor

3. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Trevor,

Thanks. While I'd be disingenuous at best if I said that I wouldn't love to conduct a great orchestra full time, that just ain't gonna happen. It takes way too much study and time to do that more than I presently am between my trumpet stuff and the Youth Symphony. Also, the MYS is at its artistic zenith and it's been a real wonderful ride getting it there and I wouldn't want to let that go, either.

No, this is a really nice balance. I have my voice as a trumpeter, I get to work with phenomenally talented kids every week, and I'll be seeing the business from a new vantage point. Life is good, folks.

Oh, and this only lasts for a year... next year they'll hold auditions for another assistant. I wouldn't audition for that because I would essentially have to quit my trumpet job and I love playing too much for that.

ML

4. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Congrats on the gig, Manny. Variety is the spice of life. Enjoy it all!
    gregc

5. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Congrats Manny! I hope you are very happy in your new position.

6. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    You're gonna need to spend some good time in front a mirror practicing "The Hand". Otherwise, the #%[email protected]! brass will run all over you!

p.s. Who are the other two you'll be overshadowing...I mean, sharing this gig with?

7. etownfwd

etownfwd New Friend

Jan 8, 2004
    PA
    Congratulations, Manny! Maybe, if I am lucky, I can get out to Minneapolis to see a performance that you conduct! Best of luck wearing your newest "hat"!
    -efwd

8. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Congrats Manny

9. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Congrats Mr. Laureano!! There's those conductors out there that make brass players feel like they can do anything and just make them sound great, I bet you'll be one of those :D

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thanks, MB

The fact of the matter is neither the brass nor any part of the band need me in order to sound great. My biggest task will be to ensure that they enjoy themselves and the music I have them play. It'll be a program of Hispanic music, most of which, they know. Educating the little ones will be the true fun part as it is a Young Persons concert. The week I'm doing it is Feb. 20 and it'll be four shows over two days.

The show I'm doing is part of a state-funded deal whereby all the third graders in Minneapolis will attend a concert over the length of those four shows. It's an opportunity to have a great affect on those little ones. It's a cool thing. If we're going to use state money, that's a good use of it, I think.

As I said, much of the program is set and will include:

Last movement from Ritmo Jondo- Carlos Surinach
    The Little Brazilian Train- Hector Villa-Lobos
    Final Movement from Concerto for Four Guitars and Orchestra- Rodrigo
    Danza del Trigo and Malambo from the ballet "Estancia"- Ginastera
    Commisioned work by Daniel Kallman
    Huapango- Jose Moncayo
    Perhaps a movement or two from Cappricio Espagnol

The thrust of what want to teach the kids is that the Spanish influence has a different effect on each new territory the Spanish claimed in the new world as a result of the individual rhythms, harmonies, etc. of the native culutures already there. I want to explain that's why Cuban music is different from Mexican music and from Brasilian music and so on and so forth. I want to make it fun and easy to understand so they'll go out singing the rhythms. There's so much you could spend a year on the subject but I'll have 50 minutes and one rehearsal prior to that. So, you see how I'll be spending part of my summer!

That's the scoop so far.

ML