This time I'm not kidding...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Jun 20, 2005.

1. iguananaught

iguananaught Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2005
    congratulations to you and Bill! Our St. Cloud group got the news a day or so ago about Bill, and your name was also mentioned! Well done. Having played under your baton for a short while, I know that you are a very good stick man! Hopefully, I can make it down for the all latin program! I love Ginestera's music.

Patrick

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    My chops ache just looking at that program :cool:
    Wilmer

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yup!

Sure glad I'm not playing... sorry, Doug.

ML

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Congratulations, Manny! Sounds like alot of fun.

5. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    On the assumption that one day this is all going to lead to your taking over the Seattle Symphony (logical, isn't it?), I was inspired to check out the Gerry Schwartz bio on their web site. I was taken aback that the word "trumpet" appears NOWHERE in it! So, I guess he's erased that part of his life? :-? (Men In Black zapper, maybe...)

So. might you consider going that route as a nice "retirement" fallback--or is it simply too much hassle to enter the baton sweepstakes at that level. (Frankly, the mix of things you are doing now sounds far more rewarding to me!)

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Rimshot,

There are no fallbacks in life for me. I go all the way I want or not at all.

I'm happy as things are. Like I say, this is a one year position. So, year after next year, back to my more normal life.

ML

7. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Manny,

"Splain" this to me will ya? You'll be conducting those concerts, but you'll still be playing all other concerts right?? I'm pretty sure I understand this, but some of the comments made it sound like you would be stepping down for a year... :-?

How many concerts?

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Splain I will, then...

The weeks I'm covering which are about five I won't be playing in the band but I'll be on site with the scores learned and helping the conductor du jour. Doug will play principal during those weeks.

I'm scheduled for a young person's concert run and that's about it.

So, there you have it.

As of '06-'07 I'll be back to my old routine.

ML

9. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Got it. :-) Thanks. Have a great weekend.