This Week the Trumpet Giants Promenade

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by abbedd, Oct 16, 2005.

1. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
  2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Absolutely fascinating to be able to hear those in quick succession!

Abbedd, this is a very kind and generous service that you provide for us, truly. Thank you for the time and effort it must take.

I'm trying to imagine what the younger set must think of these highly stylized interpretations and sounds. I'm sure many are scratching their heads after hearing some of those. Today's mostly antiseptic style of playing begs for less wobble here and more perfection there. After all, with endless takes during a session and super-duper crystalline digital sound why shouldn't it be "perfect"?

What gets missed is that many of these performances are done in a couple of takes or less. Also, the stylization is part of what built some of those orchestras into the mammoth musical forces they were/are.

ML

3. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
    Manny

It is my pleasure.

Not much trumpet but listen to Toscanini hypnotize the NBC Sym in 1951 into a superhuman performance of Die Meistisinger Act 3 prelude. My favorite Toscanini recording and some superfine brass playing led by Arthur Berv, Horn, Neil DiBiase Trombone and Joe Novotny Tuba

3 years later the orchestra was disbanded when Toscanini was fired

http://home.earthlink.net/~toscaninny/atmact31951.mp3

Enjoy

Abbedd

4. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Abbedd,

Thanks! Manny said it all, it's great to listen to the contrasting styles in the "Pictures" comparison. All very different indeed! Love the Glantz version!

5. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I should have taken a picture of me when i listened to them. Definatly "old school" I dont like the sounds very much, but i realize how trumpet playing has evolved and take what i can from them.

Interesting to hear them, thanks for posting abbedd.

6. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
    can you explain what you mean by old school and why you did not like them

Abbedd

7. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    #1 - vibrato
    #2 - sound

the vacchiano and longinotti are the ones i prefer. i just dont enjoy the sound of the voison or glantz.

8. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    This is EXACTLY what I was thinking when listening to these clips I am 18 so I would guess I qualify as the younger set.

9. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    This is EXACTLY what I was thinking when listening to these clips I am 18 so I would guess I qualify as the younger set. Especially on the Voisin "Pictures" I just couldn't beleive the startling vibrato on the end of each note, I think i prefer more recent interpretations.

10. abbedd

abbedd Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2005
    I didn't expect anybody to like the Voison. Longinotti played with no vibrato always, as did all the winds of the Suisse Romande when Ansermet was conducting. The strings played with minimal vibrato

BTW Glantz was principal in Philly way back in 1915. he was 59 when he promenaded

Can you tell me what orchestral trumpters of today you like.

BTW are you British or American

Abbedd