Those forward jaw "Upstream" cats

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Bob, I didn't quote very much of what you stated whereas as the saying goes, "You hit the nail on the head and drove it home in one whack of the hammer." I also liked your preference of letting each students embouchure develop naturally. Truly, very few of us are adept at facial physiology and fewer ... if none of us, ... can do much of anything to alter it ... even our own. Makes me scared to think about how facial and lip plastic surgery would affect one's ability to play a brass instrument or other wind instrument, and I'm certain no plastic surgeon would guarantee such a positive outcome.

2. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    All I can do is relate my own experience. I do not claim it is an absolute truth for anyone to follow. Always, in the back of my head is the phrase used by Claude Gordon: “If it is easy, it must correct. It is difficult to play the trumpet incorrectly.”

Because the oral-facial-dental-musculoskeletal structure of each person is so different, there is no recipe as Rowuk suggests. But there are general guidelines to follow. Some phrases that come to mind are: "tongue level", "compressed air", and "fast air". Perhaps how you use your tongue to focus your air and achieve the higher register moves your jaw forward OR makes it recess. It probably does not matter in the big scheme of things.

When you follow those guidelines AND the result is “easy” then you must on the right track for your own unique situation, especially if your sound and/or tone are good. Once I attained high C, it was so easy that I insisted that my teacher and I play Clarke’s I together just so I could know I was not doing anything artificial with my embouchure. When our sounds matched and it was easy, I finally started to accept that I was doing something right.

It was a difficult process of acceptance because I spent the previous 18 months blowing my brains out. I was not convinced. I am also very lucky to practice with a superb music student; we have a "similar" sounded at high C. Only then did I accept that, if I sounded the same as my teacher and another wonderful trumpet player, these gains in progress must be real.

And, only the hard-core dedicated student knows the huge number of lonely hours and sacrifice it takes to get to “that place”.

BrotherBACH

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    But as you say --- after the many 1,000's of hours of lonely sacrifice -- sometimes the trumpet actually sounds "respectable" if not down right "beautiful" -- what a concept ---

4. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan

You're my new hero. Very well said.