Those "green goobers"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by KimS, Dec 13, 2013.

1. KimS

KimS New Friend

Nov 2, 2012
    Hello all:
    3 cheers, my 10-year-old nephew took up trumpet this year.
    In his Christmas stocking, he'd like some valve oil .... and "trumpet spray for those green goobers".
    Has anybody got ANY idea what the heck he's talking about?!

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    No....if he's blowing green goobers into his horn he should:

A: go to a doctor

And

B: take his horn to the shop for a chem clean

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I suspect he's talking about mouthpiece disinfectant spray.

Amazon.com: FlavOmist 2oz Spray Bottle CinnOmist Cinnamon scented mouthpiece cleaner disinfectant sanitize spray: Musical Instruments
    Amazon.com: Roche Thomas Roche Thomas Mi-T Mist Mouthpiece Cleaner: Musical Instruments

It won't get rid of goobers in the horn. If that's what he's thinking of, maybe consider spit balls?

Amazon.com : Herco HE185 Herco Jar Of 18 Sm Spitballs : Brass Instrument Cleaning And Care Products : Musical Instruments

Or how about a leadpipe swab or the HW Brass Saver brushes?

Amazon.com: HW Products UBST Brass-Saver Trumpet Brush Set: Musical Instruments
    The Best Damn Trumpet Lead Pipe Swab Period!: Trumpet Herald - placed Dec. 2, 2013 by 'trpthrld' in Accessories

You can get any of these at Amazon.com, WWBW.com, or at most any local music store.

Mike

4. KimS

KimS New Friend

Nov 2, 2012
    Thanks for the pointers, all. Those "spitballs" sound like way too much fun! I may get some for myself. Hope my sister doesn't hate me if nephew takes to using 'em a bit too often and enthusiastically.
    Wish I *could* have a look at his horn for myself, but these folks live on the West Coast, a long way from Boston.
    Best,
    Kim

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The "green goober's is verdigris, a build-up common to uncared for vintage brass instrument or those issued by many public schools to beginners.

Thus, I'd suggest Santa put a trumpet cleaning kit in the boy's stocking ... however I suggest the cleaning process be overseen by an adult for a 10 year old.

Of course, the optimum is a thorough cleaning by a competent technician. This latter often brings to the fore other repairs as are needed.

91% isopropryl alcohol covers the hygiene.