Those who have and play Martin Committee Trumpets a question?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JediYoda, Sep 6, 2011.

1. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    Whats with that?
    Does the Martin Committee play itself?
    Do any of you have the same tone that Chris Botti gets out of it?
    Now that you have your Committee are you planning a world tour to compete with Chris Botti?

I am just having some fun. We all know it`s not the horn but the individual.....

If Chris Botti played an off the shelf Jupiter would the Jupiter be the hot horn to have?

coolerdave likes this.
  2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    One of the nice features of my Committee is that it plays itself...for instance I can say " Committee play... My Funny Valentine ". I'll ask Chris if he needs backup on his tour when we have dinner tonight.

coolerdave likes this.
  3. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Just to clarify:

"Does the Martin Committee play itself?"
    No, it just doesn't have to be wrestled to bend to your will.

"Do any of you have the same tone that Chris Botti gets out of it?"
    I get a dark and well-centered tone. It is my tone, not Chris Botti's. Chris Botti gets a dark and well-centered tone too but it is HIS sound.

"Now that you have your Committee are you planning a world tour to compete with Chris Botti?"
    No, and since when is music a sport?

"If Chris Botti played an off the shelf Jupiter would the Jupiter be the hot horn to have?"
    No, because Miles Davis, Chet Baker nor Dizzy played one.

Yoda, I realize that you're not being snotty but clearly, you'll need to check one out to understand how a Committee works its magic on the player.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I play both a Committee and a Schilke B7. I suck on both.

My sucking on the Schilke is more bold and straight forward; brighter, as it were. When I suck on my Committee, it's more introspective and soulful. Doesn't have to be that way. Matter of fact, I've been going for a Lee Morgan thing, that's my goal and Lee played a Committee. Once I get that down, I'll be going on world tours.

But that's not to become a trumpet sex god like Chris. I'm not that pretty. It'll be to stay one step away from my woman. Soon as she finds out what happened to Lee, I'll be staying on the road forever.

turtlejimmy and trumpetnick like this.
  5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Yeeah, kehulani! Nothing like soulful, introspective sucking in my book. (except for a nice fat snail)

6. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    You are my new hero.....I think we should start a support group..... hi.... my name is Darten... and I suck........

Actually we all know why Botti sounds the way he does.... it is the magic mouthpiece blessed by the four Saints: Benge, Bach, Schilke, and Reynolds.

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    The Suckers Support Society - doesn't it sound just wonderful?

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay now that we have a support group .. trumpet suckers anonomous. who's going to develop the 12 steps?
    I sure as heck hope no one puts in that we have to go apologize to anyone we may have offended by our sucking... I would have to quit my job
    or this an exclusive support group Vintage trumpet suckers ana...

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    No, but you will have to keep doing it, till they are offended no more.
    Obnoxiously yours,
    TrumpetNick

10. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Step 1: You're supposed to blow, not suck!