Thought I'd die

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachfella, Nov 7, 2011.

1. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I was carrying my horn (in its case) from my SUV into my apartment Sunday night when I lost my balance on the last step and started to fall forward, losing my grip on the case. The case landed with a thud, on its lid on the carpeted floor. After overcoming (at least somewhat) my appoplexy, I took the case inside and took the horn out to check it. It seemed OK, with all the valves and slides still working, but the first valve slide had moved a bit. I think my horn's fine, but when I lost my grip on the case, I thought I'd die!!!! I'm sure at least some of you have had similar, chilling experiences!! My horn is my most prized possession, and I've had it since I was a junior in high school 37 years ago. If anything ever happened to it, I couldn't just run out and buy a new horn, 'cause the money's not there right now, and besides, this horn's the one I played all through college while I was getting my degree, and the one I've used on the handful of professional gigs (and I mean "handful") I've played, so when I DO have money to add to my trumpet collection, I'm keeping THIS horn!! Don't mean to go on so long, but I think I'm still hysterical!!:shhh:

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That is what cases are for, if my case was not a woodshell one my trumpet would so dented and scratched that I would not want to play it.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It is an awful feeling ..... I sympathise. I just yesterday dropped my acoustic steel string (in it's case) onto concrete. It was only about a four foot drop, but that's enough to knock things out of whack or do some damage.

Luckily for me, my prize acoustic came with a custom fitted hardshell case ..... I don't think anything bad happened to the guitar, but I almost had a heart attack.:shhh:

Turtle

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    there's always a silver lining ..
    you could have dropped an Old's Ambassador without the case and had to replace your carpet

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Upgrade your case to a Torpedo.

You can find the classic one in great condition for about $100 used.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    +1 for the Torpedo upgrade. I'm thinking about that for my Recording. I'm still feeling sick over dropping the guitar .... I may have to have the tech look at it. NOTHING is too good for our fine instruments.

Turtle

7. sorahauk

sorahauk New Friend

Oct 19, 2011
    TN
    i dropped my first trumpet out a 4 story building, making the trumpet kinda look like a flugel horn. it now sounds so different and amazing i am using it for a jazz concert.

Seriously. It sounds AWESOME.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Must have been a lucky fall (photos?).

Kids ..... don't try this at home.:huh:

Turtle

9. sorahauk

sorahauk New Friend

Oct 19, 2011
    TN
    nah im at school right now and i don't have the correct cables or usb drives to upload it to my home computer :/

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    It's the damn zipper/latches which get me. That is, getting interrupted when putting a horn away. At least thrice this has happened. I have dented a Kanstul 1525 flug, a Getzen Genesis, and a Marcinkiewicz Vermeer 3 this way, picking up a case I thought I closed but hadn't completely. I now triple check them.

My tech loves me.