Thought I'd die

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bachfella, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Curtis123465

Curtis123465 Pianissimo User

Feb 16, 2010
    My buddy and I were talking after a gig once, when he got in his car and backed out we both realized he had left his horns behind his rear tire... no, they weren't ok... it was a sad day.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I drove away from church with my Mt Vernon on the roof of my car ( I was 20yo). One of the members saw it in the road and a truck hit it. They picked it up and brought it to me. Dented bell was all.... and that's how it would up being silver plated

3. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I'll look into doing the Torpedo upgrade. The teacher I'm studying with right now suggested a gig bag for lightness. I've seen some pictures of Torpedo bags, and they look well-padded.

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If you're concerned about protecting your horn I'm not sure why your teacher recommended a lightweight gig bag.

Torpedo cases are about as heavy as a standard Bach case but are essentially indestructible.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :-(:-(:-(:-( Dropped my tilted bell down a couple stairs off the riser/platform. Opened it up to find a mild reverse Dizzy effect!! :-(:-(:-(:-( Thought I was going to puke and cry all at the same time! No torpedo's for tilted bells!:dontknow:

Fortunately I have a good tech locally for dents!

6. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I think my teacher may have actually been talking about a Torpedo. I don't have any experience with gig bags. Since I have cerebral palsy and walk with a cane (I always play sitting down), I always thought hard cases were the way to go, but the Torpedo bags do seem pretty durable. If they're the same weight as a standard Bach case, great--I've been carrying a standard Bach case for 37 years!!

7. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    sorahauk,

Falling from that distance, I would have thought it would have survived looking like a pocket trumpet!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I make my own cases that are plenty rugged and cost no more than a good mute.

Start with a hard plastic generic tool box from a Home Depot like store, make some foam
    inserts and cover them with a soft cloth.

About 90 minutes work and less than $30 for a box and the materials and you'll have
    a case that will be more than adequate.

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I think Torpedo's got their start in a similar way.

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Not sure what the SUV's relevance is, but if anyone is that concerned about their horn, they shouldn't be carrying it around in anything but a very protective case. Additionally, it should be cushioned inside against shock, i.e. movement if dropped, whacked, etc.

Once, the carrying strap on my Johnson sax case broke and my horn (inside the case) took a tumble down two flights of concrete stairs, yet was totally unaffected by the fall - and with all the little gizmos on a sax that can spring loose, that's saying something. If you really care for what's inside the case, get the right protective equipment. I can understand wanting to keep an original case for nostalgia, but keep it at home for display and warm fuzzies to look at. It'll last longer that way, anyway. Win-win.

p.s. glad the horn - and you - escaped unscathed. Man, you could've wasted your wrists, knees or what have you. Glad you're OK.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011