Thought on equipment....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Dec 21, 2005.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hello all

I had a Foothills Brass clinic last week and we got on the topic of moutpieces. They were explaining how they thought the whole structure of moutpiece : tone ratio seems to be changing. (They also seem to think that Jens also adopts this attitude).

The outlook they had is instead of using a big mp and to work on the high range, they use smaller mp's (not rediculously small) and work on their lower register.

Now me being a smaller mp player, I tended to agree with them. Plus I just bought a GR "Chase Sanborn" 66MS that I am extreamily happy with in ALL registers (Having just popped off a double 'C' 10 min ago ;-) ). The lower range is also very approachable but tends to need more focus on than the upper range. However, this is no more than spending a little time in the practice room with.

What say? Other than just musical tones for different Genres, what would you say? Large mp while working on high range? or Small mp and working on low range.

I guess it's more of a poll than an outright opinion.

Cheers
    Eric
    ps - their website is really cool and loaded with great practice tips and routines!! I read stuff there that I needed to hear and have never been told.
    http://www.foothillsbrass.ab.ca/

peace

2. FrancisA1915

FrancisA1915 New Friend

Dec 14, 2005
    Illinois
    I use a relatively large mp (bach 1b) and work on my high range. I usually play quintet and large ensemble gigs (not much jazz) and like the dark, fat sound I get. I have heard that switching to a monette mp would increase the dark nature of my sound. Any thoughts or experience with this?

frank

3. joey

joey Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2003
    Bloomington
    This is one of my great frustrations with trumpet players. Things immediately go to the extremes. Instead of:

1) Getting a mouthpiece that sounds good low and practice high

or

2) Getting a mouthpiece that sounds good high and practice low

please consider

3) Finding a mouthpiece that sounds good and practice!

I don't want to sound like a broken record (for those of you who still understand that reference), but range is just one aspect of trumpet playing that, like others, can be practiced and improved.

Range is one thing, the whole range of the horn, not three things-low, middle, and high.

As a trumpet player, you should be looking for a full clear sound over the whole range of the instrument. I'm all for using the right tool for the job, but once you start using equipment that has a specific purpose (i.e. easier high notes), you're probably also compromising other aspects of your playing (i.e. sound, flexibility, articulation).

Think about the big picture that is your trumpet playing as a whole.

Joey

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Joey wrote:
    I agree with that.
    Practice and don't look for shortcuts.
    In the 4th set of the night, if someone requests Bunny Berigan's "I Can't Get Started", I have to be able to play the low F#'s in the opening cadenza, AND the high F's in the key change to Db at the end of the chart.
    Ya can't switch mouthpieces in the middle of the tune.
    Find one that works for you and practice, practice, practice.

BTW--I use a GR custom mouthpiece which is very close to the Jet Tone Bill Chase I played for 20+ years.

-cw-

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    That's why I approach playing from the bottom-up, Chuck.The lower register is where we're most relaxed (theoretically) and open. I like to maintain that approach on the way up the register. So, yeah, I think low to high rather than the other way.

However, that's not to say that a beginner should play a huge mouthpiece at first. Comfort is important with an appropriate challenge level nherent to the equipment. It needs to be comfy enough to help produce a good sound but with room to grow into endurance and high register.

ML

6. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA

Tu-chez Joey, tu chez. Although please keep in mind I (if you were referring to me) am in no way looking for short cuts and neither are the foothills brass. They are a professional group which are almost at Canadian Brass quality. The high notes I can play came with years of practice and looong hours in the practice room and rehearsals. Sure, I have only been playing for 12 years, but in that time I have used many a mouthpiece, large and small. All I was asking was what people thought on the matter. Please don't get me wrong. I do think of trumpet playing as a whole.

Thanks for the posts, keep em' coming. I am very interested in learning what you have to say. :D

Eric