Thought on multiple weekend gigs for a newbie

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Weez, Feb 24, 2009.

1. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Quick background on me; I'm a comback player, was off for about 9yrs and have been playing again for about 3 months. I started taking lessons from a university trumpet professor about 4wks ago. My performances consist of playing with a praise band at church on Saturday nights. I have been struggling with endurance because we do a full rehearsal just prior to the gig. Very little of the music is high, but since they are primarily based on hymns I end up playing nearly non-stop on every song. Which after 3-4 verses and 6-10 songs can get tiring.

I was recently asked to play in another praise band on Sunday mornings. They do a Wednesday rehearsal, then on Sunday morning do a quick run-through then two gigs (9:00 service and 10:30 service).

I initially told him that I was not ready; I'm still building my chops and three gigs in 16hrs would probably be pushing it. However, I said that I would attend some rehearsals in order to gauge the difficulty of the charts and decided if perhaps I CAN do it. I don't want to push myself too much and put a damper on my progress, but this band sounds REALLY fun from the way the music has been described to me.

Thought?

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I don't know what the instrumentation of your praise band is, but you shouldn't be playing every verse. That gets old quick for both you and the listeners/singers. You could try every other verse, a just a part of the verse one time through and another part another time through. Let the other players fill in the rest.
    veery

3. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Besides myself it's two middle schoolers on guitars, a bass player, a drummer, keyboard, and several vocalists (most of them middle/high schoolers). It has been commented by people in the congregation that the trumpet really helps them following along with the melody (the congregation does not have music; just the lyrics on the overhead screen). so I try to play as much as I can, but I do sit out a verse here and there to ensure that I make it to the end of the performance.

The problem is it's a small volunteer band, and a lot of time even the vocalists don't have music. Just the lyrics and they "remember" how it goes. Except that they don't always sing it correctly. Or half of them sing it correctly and the other half don't, so the congregation has a tough time telling which is right. This was a comment from my mom, who sits in the congregation. She is a professional musician and music teacher so she makes fairly accurate/meaningful comments.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You need to get your Mom to help out. That music education she has ought to be helpful to iron things out for eveyone.
    veery

5. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I've played on a praise team/band like the one you're talking about. The hardest thing to get used to, depending on the size of the sanctuary, is playing too loud. If you're playing ALL verses of ALL the hymns that's "trumpet overload" for the congregation. Yes they say they like it when you play all the time, but I'm sure there's some folks in your church that have spoken the pastor, or worship leader/music minister, about "that trumpet". It always happens.

I agree with Veery in that your mom should/could help in some way. However, if she doesn't feel the "need/pull" to do it then don't force her.

Depending on what the Sunday AM services are like you might not be playing all that much. From what I'm hearing your church has a "traditional service" on Saturday evenings & a "contemporary service" on Sunday mornings. Is this correct? Is the "instrumentation" of the Sunday group the same? I'd be willing to say that if there's that many youth members of the Saturday evening group then there's GOT to be some HS band members at your church who you could probably talk into playing. It might involve some writing out of parts on your part if they've never transposed before, but that would be good practice for you. You could even have them do it for themselves after you do it a few weeks. THAT would be GREAT help for them for sure!!!

Sorry for rambling, but that's my 2 cents. GOOD LUCK!!!

6. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    yeah... i'm with Nerf and Veery on this. Help those younger kids out by sitting down during the pratice sessions and writing out parts.... you could also sit out most of the "pre-gig rehearsal" and just help the other players... that way you will be fresh until the end of the actual performance.

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Tim,

Could you have played the gigs without tiring before your long layoff?

If so, then after 3 months of playing your endurance should be back, assuming you play at least a half hour a day.

A good instructor should be able to help you get your endurance back in no time.

my 2c,

Greg

8. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    No, it's a little different than that. Saturday night at my church is the "non-traditional" service. It's not quite contemporary - It's just not strict like the traditional services on Sunday morning.

The contemporary services I spoke of are at a different church. I don't know what the group or music is like at that one. I intend to find out tomorrow night though. :)
    Hmm, I think I could have. I am playing fairly regularly, but a lot of it is playing exercises that aren't very taxing. I'm trying to blend in more actual music to help increase my endurance. It's a lot better than it was a month ago, but I still room for improvement.

9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I'm 45 and have more endurance than ever.
    In fact, I still have a ways to go (my goal is to be able to play lead in my rock/funk band from 9 to 1 without running out of gas and be able to do it without feeling spent the next day).

Since you are a lot younger than I am and presumably in good shape yet, I see no reason why you can't completely outperform where you were as a younger man.
    Getting the right instruction is critical, so if you are not seeing the results you want don't hesitate to seek for a better instructor.

Greg

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You need to get the concept out of your brain that you are "saving" anything by trying to make up for others not doing it right. The director/organist needs to provide the stable base for the congregation not you! Keep that up and you soon will have a performance that sounds like you nailed your lips to a cross.

Trumpets are there for the verses that contain "mighty", "power", "glory" and "salvation". The guitars are there for the verses with "burdon", "satan", "blood" and "sinners". The vocalists can trade off verses in a group or solo. Line the verses up so that somebody qualified is carrying the melody. Trade off. Music and religion are based on EVERYBODY contributing.

In the case that there are 5 verses with none of the above texts, I will play 1, 3 and 5, or just 1 and 5 if I have a second gig or big solo.

The sunday gig with wednesday rehearsal could give you reasons to practice even more. Just don't forget to ALWAYS play smart!