Thought on multiple weekend gigs for a newbie

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Weez, Feb 24, 2009.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I play in a ten-twelve piece brass ensemble at one of our local 'mega churches' as an accompaniment for their hymnsings. These are attended by 1,200-1,400 people, singing all of the verses of 12-14 'traditional' hymns. I am expected to play them all, but, I admit to faking it a bit, with my trumpet up to my lips, but, letting one of the other lead trumpeters carry things for a verse. This kind of playing is an absolute chop buster for a 73 year old guy, but, my fellow lead trumpeters are 76 & 62, so we aren't kids anymore. Another method for saving my chops is to switch to the alto line once in awhile. It does help.

OLDLOU>>

2. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    "Preach it" Robin..."PREACH IT"!!!

3. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I want to ask what is it that caused you to quit 9 years ago, and are you setting yourself up in this newness, for that path once again where you may quit a second time?

I don't want you to burn yourself out on this trumpet playing once more.

I played with a mega church and I decided I would play for seven years there, then decide if I was going to stay.( Meanwhile, I too got involved w/ a second church.)Well, things beyond my control changed, and I lasted only three. Our music director (he was a genius) left and the "new guy" they hired handed us new charts....photo copies from a vocal hymn book.

So ask yourself this, am I going to keep up this routine, three nights, and Sunday morning every week for seven years. Also, all good things come to an end; and with churches, it's never pretty

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  4. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I quit before because I wasn't good enough to go on and play professionally. I was not able to fit college band into my schedule, and since I wasn't in a band and was busy with Engineering classes, got a serious girlfriend, etc, etc. the trumpet playing fell off my list of things to do. If I had been smarter back then I could have fit it in, and would have been a much better trumpet player as well. But I wasn't, so here I am.

I will probably always be doing SOMETHING in church (weather it's the one I belong to or another), but I realize that this current gig (or set of gigs) will not last forever. On that note, my plan is to use these church gigs as good experience (as well as have fun!) and when my skills develop to a certain point I will branch out into other non-church bands. :)

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Same thing for me - getting married, a EE degree and having kids left no time (or money) for trumpet pursuits. I got serious about it around 2001.

6. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    As another CB player, I'd say you're doing exactly the right thing--test the waters. I also think you will find that this additional playing will help, not hurt, your chops. You don't have to play everything through at ff during a rehearsal of either band. Also, I agree that there are "steps" you can take in church to minimize wear and tear. Alternating verses as has been said before. Offer to SING the verse, then PLAY the refrain. Take stuff down an octave once and awhile. Learn to read and transpose the bass clef for easier parts that sound great.

I would bet money that in 3 months, you are wondering why you ever doubted you could do it.

Whatever choice you make will be the right choice!

7. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Playing the trumpet during a gig with your group is like running track. First you have to be in shape to go the distance. Practice and more practice. As a runner builds their legs and breathing, you have to build your embouchure and develop endurance. May I suggest getting the book: Embouchure Builder by Lowwll Little. The next thing that you have to do, once again like a distance runner, is pace yourself. Know when you can back off and let the group pick up the slack for a while. The other thing that you might consider, and this will take experimenting, is switch off with different mouthpieces during the event. If you are using a small sharp cup, switch down to a wider deeper cup for a while. This is something that you are going to have to play with to get the right combination correct.