Thoughts and Criticism!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
  2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Very nice! Almost like it was supposed to be a duet. Great work! Only thing that lacked which may be due to the head phones is that a couple of times you seemed to follow in

3. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Yeah okay! Thanks for the reply Dennis. That sounds right because I find I do sit up on the beat when I play (i discovered it when i tried to just record myself doing horn lines in Logic etc). Ill definitely check that out. Chet has some great time as we know.

4. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    Really nice playing. Well done. Makes me want to pull out one of his recordings and get to work.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Very nice! I'd get rid of the doubling/echo.

An Adams A4?

6. feedback@stomvi-usa

[email protected] Piano User

Jan 24, 2012
    Newhall California
    Your personal interpretation or emulation of the solo was excellent in all aspects. You asked about a transcription without seeing the written transcription it is difficult to make constructive criticism about notation. A visual examination of the transcription showing agogic markings such as the grace note in bar 10 counting from the bar where you started played along. Did you add articulation notation like slur, tongue, ghost and dynamics to guide the player as to nuance. Is your notation rhythmically accurate?

The goal for any written transcription is to be as accurate as possible this requires notation that is as accurate as possible. Style and nuance is nearly impossible to write but the goal is to present a transcription that allows the player upon first read the direction that reflects the original intent or sound. Here are a couple examples that might help explain what I am talking about. Again nice playing.

Here is an accurate transcription with very limited markings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpBBOO3phvo

Here is a transcription with a greater number of markings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshFHlKBeug

Best,

Jon

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I don't think he can - I think the "echo" you are hearing is Chet Baker. :D

One of the things that I sometimes see with something like this is that the backing music is loud enough, or the recorded instrument is low enough, that it kind of gets buried by the backing music. An example of this I've seen is a video posted by a friend of my son's where he was covering "Drifting" by Any McKee, the guitarist. At a glance it was pretty cool. A closer watch and listen revealed that my son's friend was only playing part of it - he was making the right hand motions (Andy uses the body of the guitar percussively) but there was A LOT that wasn't being played correctly or even at all on the strings - what we were hearing was mostly backing track. There's a little bit of that quality in yours, although to be fair, at a close listen you're hitting a lot more than my son's friend was. :D

Nice job - I can tell you put a lot of work into it.

8. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Yeah the echoing is my playing along with chet haha! I just overdubbed the recording. Should it be more precise?

No actually! Its a Yamaha Bobby Shew with heavy caps. They dont really change the sound but look cool so i just leave them on aha ;).

Thank you for all the replies guys!!

9. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Wow John. Thank you very much this was actually very very useful. Would you want my transcription? (I can send it as a PDF just for your own use if you'd like!). It makes sense what you're saying about the notation. Mine was not totally blank but yes i definitely missed a few spots where I just relied upon having heard it heaps.

Thanks for that!

10. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    This is a very good point actually. Next one ill pull up the volume etc. I know i can definitely play all the notes in this but my sound definitely isnt as beautiful as chets so that makes sense. That was probably buried slightly! :D