Thoughts on a new sub forum for horn care and restoration

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cheesehead, Oct 4, 2010.

1. cheesehead

cheesehead New Friend

Sep 21, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    In the short time I have been a member here I have noticed quite a few threads about horn care, restoration, what oils to use ect. Would it be possible to create a sub forum for new members like myself to go to for this type of information? That way we could assemble all the members knowledge on these subjects in one sub forum. This would help eliminate redundant postings and help new members quickly find the answers they are seaking.

Thought?:dontknow:

P.S. I would have posted this in the front desk section but from what I can tell by the avatar thread site administrators do not frequent that section much.:-?

2. Printer

Printer New Friend

May 1, 2010
    San Francisco
    I my short time here I have experimented with various oils and lubes for my growing trumpet collection. Currently I am of the opinion that Hetman synthetic oil is the best thing for my valves, and petroleum jelly, good old Vaseline, works bettern than pure anhydrous lanolin.

This site is a great place to learn about trumpet care and maintenance, although the information is rather scattered. I agree that a forum devoted to horn care would be very useful.

And by the way, cheesehead, welcome to the forum.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The sub forum is a good idea, it will not help redundant posting though. From the couple of years that I have been here, the common denominator seems to be DON'T research. In addition, there are those that do use the search feature and answer 4 year old threads with the same answers that were given 4 years ago.

I guess that makes us more of a blog than a source of well organized informantion.

Actually, the vintage horn forum is close to what you are looking for. There are plenty of tips on DIY, finding a pro, valave jobs and the like as well as lots of eye candy.