Thoughts on embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by KennyW, Feb 16, 2015.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Do what works and is comfortable.

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Our band director in highschool told us to center up and always smile. I play off center and keep my corners tight and go just fine. Don't fight your instrument play it

3. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Most successful players today focus their lips toward the center of the mpc and do not 'stretch' to play higher notes. Clouds Gordon describes it well on page 30 of Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing where he says 'the muscles of the face and lips pull toward the mouthpiece with a feeling of gripping.' I so much wish I had this short text when I first started playing. It clearly covers the essentials of playing with no nonsense and a clear explanation of each essential of playing. That is money well spent and if followed thoroughly will set an excellent foundation for any beginning player or person who is struggling with the fundamentals of playing.

4. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    that's an awesome reply! Beautiful! Lol. I play off center as does chris botti! sweet reply.

5. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There's probably a reason you didn't think about technique and just excelled. To try and do the same would be my advice.

chris botti, the famous trumpet player was saying at a concert two weeks ago in Pittsburgh there are not young trumpet players willing to do the scales to build their repertoire and range properly. He has a passion for helping the young player develop. Do you have the initiative? Of course you do; you just posted this thread! Contact him and remind him that he said he'd love to find young players he can point out as the next generation. He would love to give you any advice he said. If he doesn't let me know as I have it on my phone video in the Question and Answer session after the concert.