Thoughts on my daily routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Starkly, Jun 13, 2014.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Toward what end? What is the ultimate purpose of "a confident and more extensive upper-range, clearer triple tonguing, less pressure while playing, and more endurance?"

Lip bends? Can't say I've ever used them - don't see what the purpose would be for. I wouldn't know a Stamp exercise if the book hit me in the forehead and I've played trumpet for 30+ years. Again, I ask, what's the end goal? Why are you working your technique? Surely you have something more in mind than building technique for the sake of technique, because technique for the sake of technique is pretty much useless. Just my opinion, of course.

Do you have a solo and ensemble contest you'd like to win? A piece of music you'd like to be able to perform? An honor band you'd like to make? A higher chair placement in your school band? To win the section leader slot? (I'm going out on a limb based on your post that you are still in school of some kind.) THOSE are goals, and the technique will help you to achieve them by facilitating your ability to make MUSIC. Or at least that's what it "should" be IMO.

That doesn't mean much without context - have I been away too long? I don't have a clue what he sounds like.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Patrick, I have heard him live, and can most honestly say, he has his own sound. Sounds like Dr.Mark to me and I love that sound. He did dampen his bell that night with a foam ring he developed that he uses to darken his horns's sound, but the darkness was all Dr.Mark.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hmm,
    I understand something a bit different as a daily routine. First I get my body prepared. I check stance, posture and breathing. For those that buzz, a couple of minutes is fine, then long tones - they can even be scales where each tone is held out, then comes lip slurs - up until now without any tonguing whatsoever - just play instead of exhale. Then a couple of scales at normal speed, double tongued and triple tongued - but with only one focus: relaxed! After this is use easy tunes like from the Hymnbook or Fakebook. No technical stuff. No high notes other than the slurs. Now I am done (all in all 20-30 minutes). A break, breakfast or something else.

I do not mix up the concepts of daily routine and "practice". I use the daily routine solely for maintenance, not for improvement although consistency is a form of improvement. It is there to let me know where I am body tension wise, if my head is clear and if it is going to be an "easy day".

Technique belongs in my opinion in a practice session where it can be monitored slowly and exactly. It requires massive amounts of intellectual processing and that means I do not use it for maintenance.

Daily maintenance is nothing to brag about or publish in a big way, it is the daily SSS (shxx, shower, shave) for the trumpet.

At the end of the day, do whatever you want, just do it every day. If you hear your body talking to you, everything is OK.

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi trickg,
    If there's a place that's mutually close (Pittsburgh perhaps) I would really enjoy playing together live. I think it would be a lot of fun pending it can happen and ask Gman, I behave myself when I'm on stage ( when I played with Gman I didn't even pass gas once!!).
    Dr.Mark
    No one sounds like Maynard? Dan McMillion (hopefully I spelled it right). The guy is good but to me it's a little clone-ish.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    You stated:
    "You sound like Dr.Mark, and that's about the best compliment I could ever give!"
    --
    Thank you soooo much! It took a long time to get there.
    Dr.Mark

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    And yet, technique must be maintained somehow. How do you differentiate between "practice" for the sake of working technique, and "maintenance" where you also work technique so as to not lose what you've built?

Maybe I'm too cavalier about it, or maybe I don't care about it enough, but playing trumpet for me is just one facet of who I am as a person, and it has to fit in with:

• My full time job as a database administrator
    • My responsibilities to my family as a husband and father
    • Maintenance of my home (house, two cars, two dogs, yard, etc)
    • Other hobbies and endeavors - guns/shooting/reloading, playing/gigging drums, brewing beer, etc - what can I say, I have a lot of interests

So, I do what I can with the horn within the context of my life - I maintain a book of about 400 charts for the wedding band, so I practice when I need to in order to maintain the existing charts or learn a new one, work technique if I feel I need to tighten up the screws, and I gig when the gigs come up. To me this is a full and satisfying life. I could be a better trumpet player - I could expand my knowledge, build greater technique, etc, but for what? I don't want to gig more, and I do more than fine in the wedding band. While I don't make a ton of money doing it, I have a great time when I gig, and it gives the family some crazy money for vacations, and other expenses and purchases where we don't want to have to dig into our normal budget funds.

I guess I'm just not the serious orchestra player, or whatever - but that doesn't mean that I can't play or have poor chops, even if I don't maximize them for what they could be.

Mark, maybe someday - Pittsburg is a 4+ hour haul for me, but I wouldn't be opposed to giving it a shot someday.

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    trickg,
    You stated:
    "and father"
    --
    You're a Dad!! Happy Father's Day!!! We can't do it this weekend but if we get together, I owe you a Father's Day beer!
    Dr.Mark

8. Starkly

Starkly New Friend

May 26, 2014
    To all:

I'd be interested in hearing recordings of your playing. I'm skeptical about the validity of these posts because I'm relatively new to the forum, and it seems an odd medium to be offering individualized help. It seems like some of you truly are masterful teachers, but some of you are doctrinaireish and offer what might work for you.

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Starkly,
    You stated:
    "To all:

I'd be interested in hearing recordings of your playing. I'm skeptical about the validity of these posts because I'm relatively new to the forum, and it seems an odd medium to be offering individualized help. It seems like some of you truly are masterful teachers, but some of you are doctrinaireish and offer what might work for you.
    ---
    I can't/won't speak yea or nay to that one. A blog site is a blog site is a blog site. All I can say from personal experience is that gmonady is a very good trumpet player, he possesses his own personal sound and I do not know of once where he directed a person wrong or offer up BS that would harm a person's advancement on this site. Most I feel would say his info to be of use.
    I don't know if it's fair to call a blog site individualized help however, there are individuals on this site that do skype lessons. I think one of the members is located down in Aussieland. As for hearing me, we have to get together for that. If you live near the Pittsburgh area we might be able to do this.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Goals are important. Let's say your name is Rocky Balboa and you have a shot at the title. That is a pretty good goal. Do you spend all your time sparring? No. You spend your time running, hitting the punching bag, jumping rope and other stuff all for conditioning and spar on top of all that.

Too many times trumpeters doom themselves in a performance by practicing nothing but the pieces they will play.