Thoughts on my daily routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Starkly, Jun 13, 2014.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Here you go - some of the party band stuff. These were all recorded live, some of them with a Presonus Studio Live sound board, and some with a Behringer X32 digital board, but they were recorded live - granted, the clips were were garnered over a few months, so most of the clams have been edited out! LOL! And yeah, it's pretty cheesy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jHfUcM-Pvw

(Apparently I can only post one vid per post - more to follow)

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
  3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Here's another project I did with a guy I only know through a drummer's forum - he lives in Canada. This is my own mix of the parts I gave him - I kind of created a bunch of extra tracks that he didn't necessarily ask for, but it was fun so I kept going - the very end of it I was pretty tired and it's pretty out of tune, but it is what it is, right? If you can't watch it I'll have to reset the privacy settings. Horns stuff starts around 1:37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuZOmrryVK8

Here's something I did about a year ago at a church - we did the "Reel Big Fish" song "Sell Out" - trumpet stuff isn't coming through very well, but I don't recall having any major clams. The song starts on the vid at just about the 20:00 minute mark on the nose.

Between the Lines - Sell Out 10:15, Recorded on 6/2/13 MosaicChristian on USTREAM. Church

keep in mind, my playing these days is pretty geared toward a more commercial type of thing, but it doesn't mean I can't do legit stuff - I've done more than my share of that over the years. I'm no ace player - overall I'm kind of a hack, but I still get by and manage to gig a fair bit.

4. Starkly

Starkly New Friend

May 26, 2014
    /

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  6. Starkly

Starkly New Friend

May 26, 2014
    Amen!

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Kid, let's get something straight here - by saying, "Trickg primarily maintains his wedding charts," again, we're talking about a book of 400+ tunes that mirror the records - nothing is watered down, so there is some serious playing in there. I have about 140 charts of what I consider our "boilerplate" material - stuff that we hit all the time. These are tunes that need to be performance ready at a moment's notice - I don't know what is going to be called and when, and for the remainder of the book that only gets called once in a blue moon, I need to be able to read them well enough so they don't sound like crap coming out of the PA. Out of curiosity, how many charts do you have performance ready at a moment's notice?

Second, as a player, while I've never been in a major symphony orchestra, in many other ways, I've been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I've been behind the horn for roughly 33 years, and have been a working musician since I was 17 - about 27 years. Progress more as a player? I'm not sure what you expect. I've gigged all over the place doing everything from rock band, to brass quintet, to big band, latin band, etc, and I've gigged alongside some players who get talked about on a national level. I'm not saying I'm as good as they are - I'm not, and maybe never could be, but the only additional steps I could have done to play better or to land better gigs would have been to land a gig in a premier military band (well, I was in the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps - it is considered a premier ensemble) or a fairly major symphony orchestra.

During my first enlistment as an Army bandsman, (1989-1992) I was in a very good band, and within that band, aside from being in the concert band and ceremonial band - everyone was in those by default - I was also in the big band and the brass quintet, and not everyone got to be in those ensembles. And you didn't stay in them if you couldn't hang - being in an Army band was business, and if you weren't cutting it, you got cut - period.

I'm not as technically proficient as I was back then (early 90s) - life happened, and playing my trumpet, which I did for 5- 7 hours per day, pretty much every day with but one goal in mind - to be the best I could be - fell to the wayside of having a life that involved a spouse (currently 22 years and counting) two kids (which might actually be older than you at this point) a house and everything that goes with it, along with a non-music career that pays for it all. In some ways I'm a better player than I was then - I'm more musical, and I have stronger chops, but I don't play as cleanly as I did back then. There's more to life than playing trumpet, and while I may not have the technical proficiency that I had in my early 20s, make no mistake, I was a good player on pretty much any scale. I may not have done Stamp specifically, but Clarke, Arban's, Schlossberg, Herring etudes, St. Jacomb, etc - been there, done that, at least to some degree.

Getting back to the idea that I only practice the charts I gig, that's not true at all. Yeah, I maintain those charts, but part of maintaining those charts is maintaining my chops, and I still work technique on a regular basis. Last night that's all I worked on for time I spent in the practice room - nearly 2 hours. You simply can't play this book without keeping up your chops to a certain degree.

Ah, to be young, idealistic, and SO knowledgeable - I envy you. :roll:

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi trickg,
    I initially posted this and then removed it fearing that it might have been to abrraisive. Allow me to put it back.
    ---
    Hi Starkly,
    You stated(in bold):
    I think that in trumpet playing and moreover many aspects of life setting goals is crucial. But it's clear that many of the people here on the forums are taking it way too far, and it's deterring their development.
    ----
    Oh my I hope not but in any group of people, you'll have dreamers. Goals not taken seriously are just dreams.
    ----
    It's fine that Trickg primarily just maintains his wedding charts, but only because that's the level he wants to take his playing to.
    ----
    Seems a bit condescending.
    ----
    If he were to have a more rounded routine, he would progress more as a player.
    ----
    Whew!! Burned your ass trickg. Now get in line and get to work!! There's a new sheriff in town and you're on his s*** list.
    ----
    Now, obviously his main goal is to perform well in his gigs, so under those circumstances it's okay for him to continue what he is doing. But if one isn't content with their current playing level, they should be practicing differently in preparation for the coming gig/competition/performance.
    -----
    Damned!! Let's just skip the formalities and make you a moderator. Rowuk!! get the hell out of the Captains chair, there's a new kid in town and he's taking names and whipping ass.
    ----
    Being on the younger side,
    ----
    Ya think!?!
    ----
    Sure I have plenty of goals. This extends from section leader of the orchestra next year, to being accepted to a local conservatory's PRE-COLLEGE ENSEMBLES, doing well in various competitions I will be competing in over the next few years, etc. The thing is that because there is diversity amongst the opportunities I have, it doesn't make sense to work toward each goal.
    ----
    Whew, again, you're right. Fly young arrogant person, Fly!!. Spread those mighty wings and soar!!!!
    -----
    A good trumpet player can nail any performance because of their technique that they've drilled for 45 years, not because they worked feverishly for months to perfect that G-trill.
    -----
    Really, I've seen Doc, Maynard, and Snooky Young, Alison Balsom, Dizzy and others be way less than spectacular (well..suck) and in no way "nailed it" on the perfomance regardless of their technique (which for these guys is/were formitable). If you've done this long enough, you know that you'll have crappy performances regardless of the years of practice. By virtue of knowing this, I also have seen these same people raise the hair on the back of my neck so if I hear them as less than "nailing it" I know it isn't due to their practice routine.
    -----
    The way I think about it, be content with the ultimate goal of sounding how you want to sound, and build your routine around that. The reason I created this thread was to make sure what I'm doing will help me reach that goal...
    Goals on a smaller scale should be regarded as rungs on the infinite ladder that is playing the trumpet.

---
    Oh my!! You're right. Now, go young arrogant person and climb that infinite ladder (with my blessings) and let me know what you find when you get there. All in all, you don't want to hear anything other than the advice in your head and spend a lot of time in semantics instead of taking the info you've been given (for free) and researching it. I'm not saying to take what people say or write as the gospel but you are not even checking the info out.
    Youth does not constitute innovation just like age does not constitute efficiency. You know what's best for 'you". Now spread those mighty youthful arrogant, misguided wings and soar into the history books as one of the future best cash register attendants in the history of WalMart because that's about as far as your trumpet is going to take you given the attitude you display..
    All that misdirected energy wasted on youth. Is school starting soon?
    Dr.Mark

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Mark, I probably shouldn't have allowed myself to be baited, but this is clearly a situation of a young stud player who really doesn't even know what he doesn't know.

I loved the bit about local conservatory's pre-college ensembles. Again, been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Another bit I liked was this: "A good trumpet player can nail any performance because of their technique that they've drilled for 45 years, not because they worked feverishly for months to perfect that G-trill."

Well, um....Yeah, like you Dr. Mark, I've seen some really fine players blow it, simply because they were having an off night - my list also includes Maynard as well.

And Starkly obviously doesn't seem to understand how technique can cross apply. Let's say for instance, all I were to ever work on were my charts for the party band. Well, as I've stated before, there is some serious playing there, so even if that's all I were to ever work on, in order to play those charts well I'd still be working:

Articulation
    Phrasing
    Lip slurs/flexibilities
    Accuracy/intervals
    Counting
    Endurance
    Range
    Being proficient in multiple styles (my book covers everything from ballads, to swing, to country, disco, etc, etc, etc)
    Being proficient all across the board for tempo and time

But hey, I guess if this is all I want to practice, then I'm just not going to progress as a player. :dontknow: :roll:

Maybe I didn't make it clear when I talked about what I work on and why when it comes to playing. It's true that these days I don't do a lot of method-book work. I do what I know needs to be worked, and it varies by what's going on with my chops on a given day - with 30+ years of playing, I've gotten to be fairly in-tune to what's going on with my chops, and what I need to work on a given day based on how things are responding. Of course if I was still developing my chops like our young hero here, this might not be so obvious.

We're not trying to slam and discourage you Starkly, but you need to understand that for a lot of players on this forum - folks who gig around pretty regularly and get paid to do it - there's a certain level of proficiency that has already been reached and it's steadily maintained. Just because we may not be playing in the New York Phil doesn't mean we're total hacks.

One last comment to our young friend here, and then I'll let this go. You posted your routine because you wanted assurance that given the time you had to spend working on the horn, that it was ok. I've got some news for you that you may not want to hear - if you truly want to grow as a player and really develop your technique to a point where you are going to wind up as a solid, dependable, consistent trumpet player, you're going to have to spend more than an hour per day (with more than just 45 minutes of actual work) in the practice room. Like I did. Like I did just last night and like I do on a regular basis.