Thoughts on my daily routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Starkly, Jun 13, 2014.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Being young means you know a lot but don't know what you don't know, yet. The older you get the more you realize how much you don't know, yet you know a lot more than the people who know everything, you know?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that you are making assumptions that prove that you have no idea what you are talking about. The BS about "people on forums taking it too far", what a joke. There may be a big handful here that take it far enough, the rest conjecture - just like you in this post. They post things that they think that we want to read - a dead giveaway that they are not practicing what they preach! Conjecture hinders development! For the consummate trumpeter, there is NEVER enough.

Your assumptions about Patricks playing shows that you have never held down any playing job. What does a "more rounded routine" even mean? If you are playing professionally, your routine is not "rounded", it matches what is required of you to get the job done that you get paid for. Do you think that the solo trumpet player of the NY Philharmonic could fill the lead trumpet position in Tower of Power if his "Routine" was more rounded? What about the other way around? They are both top trumpeters......... My experience shows that the better the job, the more specialized our routine has to be.

What is this crap "The thing is that because there is diversity amongst the opportunities I have, it doesn't make sense to work toward each goal."? What opportunities are so diverse that YOU can't properly prepare for them - seeing as how you do not have to comprimise because you do not have a job playing in a specific venue? Maybe you are confusing goals and opportunities? For a high school trumpeter there may be 3 or 4 sensible goals, each with 10 tasks to accomplish them. The Arban Carnival of Venice for instance would be a goal where we have tasks of rhythm, melody, double tongue, triple tongue, intervals and F-major scales. Each task needs proper preparation. If our development is properly monitored, the double tongue speed is not a goal, we already have the speed. If our double tonguing sucks, then the Carnival is a stupid goal because we are missing something major! Do you know how many threads here are dedicated to kids that wake up a week before a competition and want a quick cheat to get through? This type of posting comes every January, February, March. Some decent goals for summer vacation could have prevented this type of ignorance (which I define as not doing the right thing when we know better).

Where did you get this piece of wisdom " But if one isn't content with their current playing level, they should be practicing differently in preparation for the coming gig/competition/performance."? Have you ever heard of "not ready yet"? If a player is doing all of the right things every day, it still takes time to train the body to use those things in a unified way. Many times PERSERVERANCE is all that is required and not running to the next guru every time your world falls apart. Do you think that I change my routine every season when we change repertory? Heck no. What keeps me afloat daily is good for Bach, Mahler and Beethoven as well as brass quintet and a bit of show band commercial work. At your age, where major skills are not fully developed, you may need to adjust what YOU do because you are not really ready but good luck also plays a role.

Another garbage notion is "A good trumpet player can nail any performance because of their technique that they've drilled for 45 years, not because they worked feverishly for months to perfect that G-trill". A good trumpet player has a commitment to excellence. Even the G-trill is important. If you aren't used to taking care of the small things, then the big things don't work either. Even after 45 years we still are human and bleed red. If an experienced player crash and burns, it is ALWAYS because of the missing G-trill somewhere in their past. There are good 18 year old trumpet players that even without 45 years of drill, still do an excellent job because they have kept their eye on the ball. I often use my students for concerts because they have learned to listen, prepare and deliver.

"The way I think about it, be content with the ultimate goal of sounding how you want to sound, and build your routine around that. The reason I created this thread was to make sure what I'm doing will help me reach that goal..." is the surest way NOT to reach that goal. We get jobs by fulfilling others expectations. If you have no idea what a trumpet player in an orchestra is supposed to sound like, of what significance is your goal to sound like "you"? Sound is NOT the ultimate goal because sound is not MUSIC. Isolated, sound is simply noise. Music is the ultimate goal and has Sound, Rhythm, Pitch, Dynamics and Passion as parameters.

I think that you are very confused. Goals have many dimensions. We can make double tonguing at quarter=250 a goal. If we don't understand the mechanics of the body, we most likely will be wasting our time. Goal setting is a continual process. For the trumpet it often involves things seemingly unrelated to playing. Attitude and body use are two that immediately come to mind. Setting goals needs outside help until we know what is going on. Even then, the finest players have mentors and enough humility to use them.

I really hate the end of the school year. We get all sorts of under 18 players with 50 years experience and thousands of successful students with top playing jobs. Or at least the posts seem to imply this. In the old days we respectfully asked questions........

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi trickg,
    You stated:
    "Mark, I probably shouldn't have allowed myself to be baited, but this is clearly a situation of a young stud player who really doesn't even know what he doesn't know."
    ---
    I concur.
    Dr.Mark

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi rowuk,
    You stated:
    "For the consummate trumpeter, there is NEVER enough."
    ---
    Heck it's just not for the consummate, there's never enough for guys like me too!
    Dr.Mark

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Should have amended that to "young trumpeters," perhaps, but even older players can doom themselves by practicing nothing but the pieces they will play. I believe we need our daily trumpet "vitamins" that include work on all the basics, but a working trumpeter will devote considerable time and effort to maintain the book or upcoming pieces. We grow during our down time.

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My post tests a couple of things:
    1) can someone read
    2) is the poster first/lead trumpet material
    3) conflict skills (important for someone wanting to be section leader)
    4) willingness to look in the mirror
    5) how much is real and how much is copy paste

You can't pass or fail these tests. They simply confirm the apparent or dig a level deeper to get something to work with. Let's see where this thread goes. I have a gut level feeling, but would like to be wrong.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think our young friend probably came on here with good intentions, but after getting a pretty thorough smack down, brought on in response to some of the loaded things they said, may not come back to the forum, or at least not this thread.

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If he is a first trumpeter, he'll be back.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    What has been stated has been stated hundreds of times ... and least in my lifetime ... and still it is do or don't.

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi trickg,
    You stated:
    'I think our young friend probably came on here with good intentions, but after getting a pretty thorough smack down, brought on in response to some of the loaded things they said, may not come back to the forum, or at least not this thread."
    -----------
    Yes, he possibly did have good intentions but isn't that the material used to pave the road to Hell with.
    It's not a good idea to come across with the attitude he displayed and ask for advice. Yep, that's a recipe for a smackdown and stay or leave, it doesn't matter. By now his Nintendo is charged back up and he's done forgotten about this site.
    Dr.Mark

BigDub likes this.