Thoughts on my daily routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Starkly, Jun 13, 2014.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    heh, heh. Good one Dr. Mark. Good one. That may well get you a dad gum rep point right there, yes sir.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm assuming an incoming Freshman or Sophomore can put in two to three hours a day building chops during summer vacation, and with a teacher for the summer a player can be ready to define what a first trumpeter should be to the rest of the ensemble(s).

Worked for me.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It seems that Starkly has indeed been back to the thread, and from the looks of things, they deleted the things they posted that brought out the "best" in us.

Recently someone started a thread and kind of called us out as bullies for the way some of the longer-tenured forum members are treating the noobs. Maybe we are, but it's tough when a noob walks into a forum full of people with A-type personalities, spouts off at us, all the while displaying their lack of knowledge, but then wants to call us out as if we don't know what we are talking about. Unfortunately we do this a lot with younger players, but to be fair, I tend to think we try to be patient with them until they decide they want to show us that they know everything.

I hope Starkly comes back - yeah, we might have been pretty hard on him (her?) but if they can take this as a learning experience and actually listen to some of the advice being freely given, they might just learn something.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You don't play much jazz improvisation do you Vulgano Brother? Improving on a song during practice that I play later in the week sounds nothing like the original. It will sound improve, and you cannot spell improve without improv.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I was young and dumb once. Now I'm old.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is very true, and I include a complete array of trumpet "vitamins" with each and every practice session that I play. I do try to limit the amount of the double high vitamin C though. More in to working on the vitamin B (for breathing) complex!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ... and stupid?

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ...Demented?

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User