Thoughts on my daily routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Starkly, Jun 13, 2014.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    You got part of that right, Doc. You can't spell. Sorry, couldn't resist that one! I am allowed. Don't any of the rest of you mess with him, I'm his editor.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Practicing improvisation counts as quality time.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh... got cha coming around to the dark side, yes?

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    You stated:
    "You don't play much jazz improvisation do you Vulgano Brother? Improving on a song during practice that I play later in the week sounds nothing like the original. It will sound improve, and you cannot spell improve without improv.
    ---
    I believe that the only excuse we have for being musicians and for making music in any fashion is to make it differently, to perform it differently, to establish the music's difference vis-a-vis our own difference. VB has alway played jazz because jazz has always existed. To play it differently every night applies to Bach and Beethoven too.
    Breaker, Breaker, Good Buddy. What's your Handel
    Dr.Mark

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Dr.Mark... There IS a difference between interpretation and improvisation. It is not a fine line. I know... been there... done that. I prefer not to interpret others works, but rather to create my own.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Now too Hot to Handel is a different bird. Listen to these clips. It is an interpretation of Handel, but some of the musicians put their improv talent into it as well.
    Too Hot To Handel promo - YouTube

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    You stated:
    "Dr.Mark... There IS a difference between interpretation and improvisation." It is not a fine line. I know... been there... done that.
    -----
    Interpretation:artistic inspiration in performance or adaptation.
    Improvisation:to compose, recite play or sing on the spur of the moment
    Hummm? seems like the more I look at the words in the definitions, the closer they are.
    ----
    I prefer not to interpret others works, but rather to create my own.
    ----
    When you play Somewhere Over the Rainbow, you are rendering your interpretation of the song even if you do not blaintantly improvise using chords, scales or whatever. Also, if you do improvise or become extemporous, you are still rendering your interpretation of the piece. You might say your use of improvisation is used in your interpretation of Somewhere Over The Rainbow.
    Also, Bach & Beethoven knew a thing or two about how they wished to interpret their pieces band how far out they wanted to go (given the day's events and how they felt). Jazz was alive back then too. We agree, you just what to pick on VB because at the present time, he's incapacitated. He was walking through the forest and fell upon a chakra root which lodged itself in his perineum(aka The Taint).

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hopefully it didn't implant too deep into his "root" as he would go from Chakra Khan to Chakra Khan't!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    There is a BIG difference between "compose" versus "adaptation"... THAT is a BIG difference. Read those definitions again more carefully, Dr.Mark.

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    If you will direct your attention to the word "adaptation" in the definition of intrpretation.
    Adaptation: To make suitable or fit as for a new use or for different conditions.
    The more a person looks, the more the lines between the two get blurred.
    Do we see improv from a jazz perspective? Yes.
    Does improv exist in classical music? Yes.
    Is how something is interpreted improv? Depends! If a person changes the inflections, lengthens note values, or basically tinkers with the song, wouldn't that be improv regardless of the genre?
    Dr.Mark