Thoughts on the arban manual.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Overtones, Dec 8, 2010.

1. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    No. no. Read the thread from the beginning. We're talking about Eric Bolvin's book "The Arban Manual" which is a practice manual for Arban's Complete Conservatory Method.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I assumed (uh no) he meant the big book also. It's funny that it (the original) was compared to the Bible. Both are excellent, but benefit is only gained through use! ;-) Happy New Year!

3. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    If you or someone reading this did purchase Eric's version of the Arban manual for studying the Arban book, how is it broken down? e.g. How many weeks, years does it take to get through Arban following the Arban Manual? Are there areas for review, or is it just progressive?

This topic sparked my interest before Christmas as well and before the end of last year asked my instructor that I take private lessons with about methods for going through Arbans, and he mentioned the Prescott Technic. It is out of print, but it was a method that could be used to go through the Arbans book and different exercises covering slurs, scales, embellishments, syncopation, tonguing, etc. There are many different ways to go about it and one method could take you 12 years to go through from start to finish.

There is a different section that could conceivably take 4 years (if you were a beginning player) and I just started on it last night. However in my case I may be looking at taking the first 8 weeks of study in around 1-3 weeks. Only because I played some of the sections and verified with a teacher on where I was at in the section and how fast / far to progress. And the fact that a lot of the exercises were ones that I have already worked on in the past.

I think the idea of a "project plan" so to speak of going through Arbans is a great idea especially since the book is not written to go from start to finish vs picking and choosing exercises from multiple areas of the book.

It would be interesting if this book or others had a suggestion of study to follow such that if you had certain goals there would be a method of practice/study to accomplish... e.g. some people may want to work on tone quality and then there might be a practice plan to focus on that goal, or like many people on here that say they are trying to focus on High notes and then a practice plan that works on that, or certain tonguing / slurring exercise etc... The way the Prescott system and I presume the Arbans manual works is that you are working on all of the above but still in a systematic approach for improving.

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I agree, having direction for use with Arban's could go a long way.

My teacher however prefers to make up his own exercises, and isn't very familiar with the Arbans. so...

5. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Make up his own exercises? Does he write them up from scratch or do you follow something from other well known books such as Irons, H.L. Clarke, Schlossberg, etc.?

I could see studying other things other than Arbans, but can't conceive how you can teach trumpet and not be familiar with Arbans.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I doubt if it's a matter where he's not familiar with it, but I can completely see how a person can teach trumpet and make up exercises. What is playing trumpet except for working to perfect a handful of technical aspects of the trumpet so that you can employ them in a musical way? All any method book does is to hone in on those technical aspects in a structured way, and when you think about it, when those methods were first written, they were exercises that were "made up" by the writers.

7. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    He writes them from scratch.

He knows of Arbans, but I don't think he can tell which exercise I need to do, because he isn't that familiar with the organization...

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Forgive me, but I am totally ignorant here.

Speaking as a teacher, it is way easier to assign something written by someone else than to write out an exercise. Writing from scratch is the ultimate form of individual instruction, yet you mistrust your teacher's knowledge.

It may be that your teacher is writing stuff out because you are not yet good enough to tackle the Arban exercises. If you are good enough practice something from each section every day. While learning, devour all the knowledge you can; if lazy let yourself be continue spoon-fed.

There is no law that prevents a student from knowing more than their teacher.

That is the goal.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  9. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    I agree, theory.

Ah but naivety is wonderful.

I asked him about it, he said his teacher assigned all the exercises up to page 45, and that later he found out that was as far as his teacher had made it in the book.

I have watched some of the marine band instructional videos on youtube, they did a pretty good job of demonstrating the interval technique then telling you which exercises in Arban's were good for practicing those.

I think with the books full of exercises teachers tend to over assign and do things like say just do them all in all the keys, without regard to which exercises are appropriate for that student.

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Arbans isn't progressive in the usual sense of the term. Most often you will be assigned a page here and a page there not necessarily one after the other.

As far as your first question, no matter how long you play, even if you play as long as you live, you will never "get through" it. There will always be a benefit in returning to Arban for practice.