thoughts on the Leblanc T357 trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by msu_ggtrumpet, Apr 27, 2005.

1. msu_ggtrumpet

msu_ggtrumpet New Friend

Apr 27, 2005
    McNeese State University
    i am currently a freshman in college and looking to buy an all around trumpet(within a college budget price range). i am looking for opinions on the Leblanc T357. please help. any other horn suggestions please let me know.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    "College budget price range" means different things for different people.

If you give us a dollar figure we could help you out a bit more.

3. msu_ggtrumpet

msu_ggtrumpet New Friend

Apr 27, 2005
    McNeese State University
    the college budget

Sorry about the confusion. I am looking at a top price of about two thousand. Maybe more if the right horn presents itself.

4. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Right now, on E-Bay is a Calicchio 1s/2 in beautiful shape for $1300. You can't go wrong with that horn. I also just saw a 1948 Conn 22B sell for $150 on E-Bay, and these are some of the best all around horns ever.

5. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Opinions on LeBlanc- they're hit or miss. Some play really well, while others aren't worth half of what they're selling for.

Some ideas:
    Kanstul ZKT 1503
    Calicchio (model number depends on what you want it for and what your tastes are)
    Schilke B6
    The Phaeton (New York Trumpet Company)

There's probably a lot of other ones (and realize I am leaving out a BUNCH of solid vintage horns), just look around. I've been looking since I was freshman, too. I'm now a sophomore and yet to buy. Just take your time, play a lot of trumpets, and choose with care.

6. msu_ggtrumpet

msu_ggtrumpet New Friend

Apr 27, 2005
    McNeese State University
    the phaeton

i have seen and thought about the Phaeton. i was not real sure about it. my first thought was that it was a "look good" horn. if you know what i mean. do you know an average price and where i can find one?

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Why not go with something more standard like a hand-picked Strad.

For that kind of cash, you could get a:

Schilke S series.
    Kanstul - pretty much anything
    Conn V1
    Calicchio
    Yamaha

Just a thought.

8. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Yeah, saying under 2000 really means you can get a lot of different stuff. I just happened to mention the Phaeton because I knew it was a solid horn for less than 2 grand. You're just gonna have to spend time in many music stores, and play as many horns as you can get your hands on. That helps you to get an idea what you really want.

McNeese State, eh? I'm trying to remember where that is. The name is certainly familiar. I wanna say north Texas or southern Oklahoma, but I don't know.

9. ZeuSter

ZeuSter Pianissimo User

May 22, 2004
    The T357 Leblanc is a GREAT lead trumpet , I have played several of them and they were all fine horns , no problems or issues at all !
    I think alot of guys tend to put down some trumpets that they are not that familiar with , I can tell you this , I have played on some NEW Bachs that did not play anywhere near as good as the Leblancs that I have played !
    So much for the Bach being "standard", that may have been the case in the past , but not today. The T357 is a larger bore and bell than the Bach 37. AS ALWAYS ,YOU SHOULD PLAY A LOT OF TRUMPETS AND PICK THE ONE YOU LIKE AND THEN PRACTICE THE BEJEBBERS OUT OF IT ,THEN PLAY AS MANY GIGS AS YOU CAN AND ENJOY THE TRUMPET THAT YOU BOUGHT BECAUSE YOU WANTED THAT PARTICULAR TRUMPET !
    Sorry , if I seem to be ranting , I don't mean to sound negative.