Thoughts on top middle teeth closed gap?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Recently I've felt my wisdom teeth starting to grow in. I've also noticed my playing has gotten worse, and the gap between my top front two teeth has become almost nonexistent. My teacher didn't go into too much detail about it but he mentioned once trumpet players with better range have a slight gap. I've been trying not to think too much into this, but can trumpet players have good range with no gap? By good range I'd say a forte or so above a high C. My high C is there but I have to work hard for it, and it's mf-mp. I know dental structure has a huge play in playing. Thoughts on this?

2. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I got braces at 45 years of age to corrrect a gap. My playing improved. I think it will be individual to individual. It does require a period of adjustment.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think the gap issue is purely anecdotal. Some poster suggested using a credit card to widen the gap so he could play like Faddis (who has a big gap)! MORON!!! Trumpet players with better practice habits (and maybe teachers) have better range. My teacher has NO gap and is a DHC machine at 72! If that is a bedrock belief of your teacher, I suggest looking for a new one. As stated above, there is an adjustment period so be patient. :thumbsup:

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I could imagine a device that would operate something like a gap. Maybe like a mouth-guard in football, only instead of having the jaw all the way closed the teeth would line up, then you could drill a small hole in it between the teeth.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Someone will buy it!!! Rofl

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Couple of things.

First, I've heard (and sat next to) some MONSTER lead players who had great teeth, so I'm reasonably confident that there's not a one to one relationship between range and tooth-gap. I think the wisdom teeth thing in general could be having an impact on your playing, but not specifically the change you're seeing in the gap in your front teeth.

Second point is your definition of "high range". Being able to play a high C comfortably at a forte or fortissimo volume isn't an extreme thing reserved for elite players. That's a reasonable goal/expectation for a serious trumpet student and shouldn't require special equipment or strange exercises/programs.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    You need to read the Maynard story about front tooth gap.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Joe44 and Solar Bell like this.
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I love the last line, "I'm not a fighting man, but I really wasted that cat". ROFL Woulda payed to see that one!

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    The rest of the story was the guy who was convinced that the gap was Maynard's crutch for hitting the high notes. he told Maynard he was going to have his dentist open a gap in HIS front teeth. Maynard advised against that.

The guy had it done and showed Maynard, who by that time had had his gap "fixed".

tobylou8 likes this.