Thoughts on top middle teeth closed gap?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Mar 4, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    MAN!! THE DUMBA%& things players will do besides practice! :roll:

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Wayne bergeron doesn't have a gap in his front teeth. I'm concerned that a teacher would say something as wrong as that. I would find another teacher. If he is wrong about something as basic as this what else is he wrong about!

Range is a product of sensible embouchure development. A high C (2 ledger lines above the staff) is within the ability of any player who wants it. Especially one who takes from a KNOWLEDGABLE teacher.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I have had a full upper denture for 50+ years with no gap between any of the teeth, the only problem I experience is when I get a new one, it takes several weeks to get used to it. The only problem I experience is when I try to play trombone or tuba, the denture falls down and blocks the air stream.

Regards, Stuart.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We always have to be "careful" when noticing things. Besides the wisdom teeth, you also got older in the time that your playing got worse - maybe old age is causing the problems?

I will not discount the "possibility" of wisdom teeth changing the geometry of your face, BUT in the same sentence will say that the changes occur relatively slowly and that would allow a decent daily routine to keep pace.

If your playing is getting worse, you should look at the consistency of your diet, sleep, health, weight, daily routine, work habits, breathing, body use. Chances are you are NOT noticing something very simple.