Thread Disappeared

Discussion in 'Site Support and Comments/Suggestions' started by J. Jericho, Dec 27, 2017.

1. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Well, I wouldn't call it inappropriate, but they are actually just reading their part written for F horn. There is no transposing needed for them. I think their issue is hearing where they need to place the initial note. They tend to over or under shoot it. I play it so they can have an idea where it should be.

2. N1684T

N1684T Mezzo Forte User

Jun 28, 2016
    I have an idea about what is involved in Transposing. Thats it, just an idea;) A year ago, when printing out music after being transposed into Bb, i saw notes that i had never seen in my life. Like a low Db. Played around with a small tuner a little bit and was blown away by the realization that a Db was a C# You could actually see the light bulb over my head illuminate;) Man what i would have given for a small portable tuner then;) The few i remember in Band class were the size of a 6 slice toaster;)

I assume thats because all the music i had in school was already written in Bb?

3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    My first experience in transposing was earlier this year during an actual performance at a church

I’d toyed with it before but nothing serious.

I really struggled that morning

4. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    It can become second nature when enough repetition is done.
    One time in a church service 3 of us were playing hymns from the book, in Concert key, so, we were transposing. Quite normal and, routine. So.......
    We provided a special trio number shortly after leaving the hymnbooks. Got up to play, and with our ( for this ) Bb Trumpet music, and lo and behold, one of us transposed the first note......out of habit. Quickly this resolved itself after the initial shock of dissonance! It was funny. I always say, better to blow a wrong note on the first note than on the last.
    People forget what happened when you play for a few minutes!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    curlydoc likes this.
  5. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    I solved the problem by just buying a mellophone, in F. No more transposition !

I will say it requires a brain adjustment, because yeah, the pitch in your head is one thing on a Bb instrument, and quite another on an F. I do find myself overshooting here and there. It's a matter of more practice time to get those notes in my head.

I still sometimes hear C in the key of my old G bugle. Neural pathways are hard to break.

BigDub likes this.
  6. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    All makes sense to me. I once had access to a mellophone, and found it extremely easy to both read the music ( of course ) and placement of the pitch came easily with little time for adjustment.
    It also was nice to play with a trumpet mouthpiece, and endurance was better and easier he chops by far.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I played alto horn a year in Germany with a French horn mouthpiece. No one ever knew for the better and were also wowed at the high notes I hit easily, LOL. Duuh.