Three general questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMonk, Dec 15, 2009.

1. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    Hi

I'm having three problems in my practice

1. When you breath, should you be able to hear the breath through the horn? Like when a recording, should u be able to hear a person take a big breath through the trumpet?

I can, Idk if I should or not, but I can't find any other comfortable way of doing it.

2. When I breath sitting down, I feel like I can "fill up" on air more easily than standing up. I feel as tho I'm not breathing right, and Idk if I'm just over thinking it. I know you may not be able to answer this question without seeing me, but should I feel full of air?

3. When I breath, it is hard for me to articulate the first note after a breath. Idk why, but It almost seems like the motion of the lips happens before the wind before the tongue.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated

2. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    1. No, generally you breathe through the corners of you mouth at the very least.
    2. If you fill up with air, there's really no wrong way. In a video once, Joey Pero said to imagine your ribs opening up to the sides, like a bird opening it's wings.
    3. Just tongue it, and make sure you support the note with a lot of air from the very beginning, don't wait till 2 or 3 notes into a phrase to attain your normal air stream.

Commendations on asking, breathing is one of the key aspects of playing the trumpet.

3. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    Thank you will

4. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Anytime.

5. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Another side note to starting your phrase after "filling up" with air. If you don't allow yourself to pause and hold your breath before playing, you'll find that you won't "attack" or "splat" notes. Gauging the timing between when you breath and when you actually start playing will help you develop good breath control without feeling like you're waiting for the big release.

When you fill up with air, think about putting the air as low into your body as you can (into your stomach to let it inflate). Stop taking in air just before your shoulders start to rise... taking a "relaxed" breath is just as important as taking a big breath.

I agree with Will - great questions to ask!

Sincerely,

Keith Fiala
    Trumpet Resources - A trumpet players resource for lessons, courses, and materials to improve range, control, tone, improvisation, and technique!

6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Another thought on your "filling up with air" questions is that when you sit down, your lower internal organs are somewhat pushed up, giving your breathing muscles something to push against. When you stand up, you don't have that same lower support, which is actually a good thing because without those other organs to press against, your breathing muscles can better do their job.

so it's important when you sit down to play that you perch on the edge of your chair so that your torso is more like what it is when you stand up.

Remember also, that you don't need to fill up with air on each breath to the maximum which your body can hold. You just need enough air to play the next phrase with good support.

7. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Good point D -

While standing you can "crunch" down and get the same affect. If you look at old videos of Bill Chase, Maynard Ferguson, etc. they tend to lean back as well as crunch down to help utilize the abs!

Just a thought -

K

8. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    That's true -- however if you look at videos of people like Phil Smith or Maurice Andre you won't see that same crunching posture. I also don't recall Dizzy doing it very much in videos of him I've seen.

So it all depends on what works best for whomever is playing.

9. Phil

Phil Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2009
    Cookeville
    You can avoid hearing the breath through the horn by breathing in a fuller manner, it doesn't necessarily give you more air all the time if you are taking a quick breath, but it opens up your throat in the proper form that air rushes in and comes out in a nice big fat "o." Try saying "home," then say it backwards, and that is how you should try to breathe in. It is important to get in as much air as you can comfortably hold before you begin playing, breathe after long notes so you have time to get more air in, and if you can't, take a quick comfortable breath through the sides of your mouth.

10. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

For helping with #3 - try being prepared mentally for the first note before it happens. Don't start everything at once - start before you play.