Throat Closing Up / Upper Register

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brent McBugler, Feb 22, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Inhalation is passive (relaxed "use" of the diaphragm). The more relaxed this muscle and the more we use intercostal chest muscle to expand vital capacity, the more we are able to prepare the body to receive that MOST important first step of inhalation. What we do with that air and how we can use it IS determined by how the rest of the body is set up for action. If the body is not adequately prepared, then suck we will. So there is important coordination between relaxation of the upper airway while the lower airway is being cocked and loaded for discharge. How much discharge force is needed can be amazingly reduced by how we can relax all the is distal to this force.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yes! if our breathing sucks, the upper register is weak - we apply more pressure to the embouchure - meaning the wimpy breathing now has to overcome the lips that are mashed shut, we further compensate by tension in the upper body and neck. Our breathing, phrasing, articulation are no longer synchronized. We learn to hear notes at the wrong pitch making it tougher for our brain to send the right signals to the diaphragm, abs, face muscles. After a while, everything is so twisted that other symptoms develop. For many, saxophone would have been a better instrument.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow, this is SO true. I never looked at it this way. This advice could prevent so many headaches for trumpet instructors!

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    perineum (ˌpɛrɪˈniːəm) Noun
    The region of the body between the anus and the genital organs, including some of the underlying structures.
    Dr.Mark

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know, I was thinking of using that anatomical term, but I thought the general readers here would understand scrotum and vagina much better. But as you know, a pair of niems has accommodations for two.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Wow - this gives completely different incite to perenial events like birthdays and anniversaries.....

7. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    I should have stopped reading on page 1. Now i know less than i did before. Blllllllaaaaaaaahhhhh

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    You stated:
    "I know, I was thinking of using that anatomical term, but I thought the general readers here would understand scrotum and vagina much better. But as you know, a pair of niems has accommodations for two."
    ---
    I think you're right. Maybe the term "Taint" is the best and it sort of makes sense. It tain't the peepee, it tain't the butthole, it must be the tain't.
    Dr.Mark

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Taint is twat we called it down here In the south. Term originated from a southern Jewish rabbus! ROFL

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Tobylou8,
    You stated:
    "Taint is twat"
    Nope, the twat is the twat and the tain't is the tain't.. Behind the twat is the tain't.
    Tain't that the darndest thing.
    Dr.Mark